Friday, August 13, 2010

My first quilt

As many of you must know by now, if you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, I really enjoy sewing.  I’ve never really done much of it beyond the occasional clothing alteration or pair of pj pants.  But this winter I started into the quilting world and have been enjoying my mom’s hand-me-down sewing machine more than ever. 

As a result of our recent move, I happened to be going through an old box of all my old dolls/stuffed animals/etc.  I hadn’t looked through my stack of doll blankets since high school but, with baby on my mind, I was looking through everything that night.  And low and behold (never have understood that saying…) I found my very first quilt!  I had completely forgotten about it, but once I saw it, I remembered my mom sewing a quilt top at home for the church ladies to quilt and how I was intrigued by all of the squares of fabric of different colors and sizes.  I’m not sure if it was my idea or my mom’s, but I ended up picking out a few squares of fabric and designing my own doll quilt.  I’m sure, at that point, that my mom was the one to sew it together, but I was excited to have created this masterpiece with the most beautiful fabrics that I could find.  The pink square in the middle, with its sparkly metallic threads, was my VERY favorite.

I look at it now and, though it brings back great memories, I can’t help but notice how my taste in fabric has changed over the years.  But, interestingly enough, when I crocheted my first afghan a few years after making that quilt (probably around 11-12 years old?) I chose those exact shades of navy blue and dark purple.  I guess I did like those colors for a good chunk of my growing up years.  But who could blame me?  I did grow up in the 90’s afterall…who DIDN’t like navy blue, forest green, and burgundy?  I just happened to put dark purple into the mix. : )

1 comment:

Alicia Buhler said...

Aw, memories. Something that I've been amazed at and thankful for as an adult is mom and dad's encouragement of our creativity as kids, all of our weird, wacky and wonderful projects.