Thursday, February 9, 2012

turning corners

Levi has been sick this week.  It seems that every time he hangs out with his little buddies who have even a hint of sickness or a cold, he gets it.  This is quite the opposite of his first year of life as he wasn't sick at all.  I guess the antibodies that come from a mother's milk really do make a difference! 

Speaking of sickness, the other night Levi was up coughing and crying.  I offered him water and he refused.  I tried snuggling and rocking him.  He just arched his back and screamed louder.  He kept reaching for the door (which he always does when he doesn't want to sleep) so finally I just went with it, like I have before, and left his room.  He kept crying and reaching so I just kept following where he led.  Once we reached the fridge, he reached for it and I opened it and gave him his milk.  He GUZZLED.  Like, the world is ending, guzzled.  And stopped crying.  And then, once he was finished chugging back his milk, he snuggled into my chest and reached the other direction.  Seeing as he had led me to what he wanted in the first place, I thought I would just follow his lead again.  He led me to our bedroom (the only light on in the house at this point) and I lay down in our bed with him.  He just lay there on my chest, perfectly calm and happy (though still the occasional cough).  Three minutes earlier he had been a screaming, inconsolable mess and now he was laying on me as though nothing was wrong.  I still needed to do a few things before coming to bed so I asked Levi if he could snuggle with Daddy for a few minutes.  He shook his head, but he often shakes his head when he hears the "question" tone.  He shakes his head 'no' to everything.  So I handed him over to Nathan while I went and got ready for bed.  He screamed the.entire.time.  Apparently he meant what he said when he shook his head 'no' to Daddy.  I got back and he calmed down as soon as he was in my arms. 

Now, this whole scenario isn't so much about the details of what happened, as about turning a corner in communication!  For months, Levi has been whining and having melt-down after melt-down because he couldn't communicate.  He would try and I would try to understand and help him, but often the melt-down would come before he really got across what he was trying to say.  But since that night, it has been a complete turn-around!  I think I might actually enjoy being a mother of a toddler now! (not that I didn't enjoy most of it already, but it certainly wasn't shaping up to be my favourite of life stages...those tantrums are something else!)  Now, even if Levi is in melt-down mode, I can ask him calmly to show me what he wants, and he'll make a honest effort, and most of the time he feels understood!  And when he feels understood, even if I say 'no' to him because he can't have what he's asking for, the tears are fewer and he moves on to something else more quickly.  Aah.  We turned a corner with that one!  Whoo-hoo!

In other news, I got a huge stack of crochet magazines this week from one of the women who works at the local post office.  She has seen my packages of yarn coming in and my scads of product going out and thought I might be interested in these.  The magazines are from the years 1988-1993 and I must say, I had some good laughs.  There are a TON of patterns that I want to try (at least a variation of), but some of them...well, why don't I just show you?

I offered to make this for Nathan (so he could wear it in case his body was cold but arms were not).  He's considering it.

Full crochet suit, complete with hat?  Yes, please.

Aren't we all hoity-toity, reading a book with perfect posture and shawl tied just so? *hem hem hem*

Ugly Christmas sweater!!!  I might just have to make this one...you'll notice that I have it "marked" for future consideration.

   
Stylish blazer...and bun netting thing...*shudder*
And last but not least...the old becoming new again!  Doesn't this vignette look quite "now"?  Aside from hanging an afghan on the wall (today it would be wall-paper, another nod back to the 90's).  But couldn't that be an Ikea lack table there in front?  I may very well make this one.  It wouldn't be for our house, but is anyone else interested?  As a side-note, I'm pretty sure my dad has those very same book ends...

And that is that.  What an interesting day I had yesterday looking through all these magazines, marking all the patterns that may be of interest.  And with that, I'll leave you to carry on your day!  Have a good one!

1 comment:

Alicia Buhler said...

Great post...and I think Nathan should go for the sweater vest!