Monday, September 10, 2012

Reading

I love reading Levi books.  He tends to have favourites that he gravitates to every time: 
This is a fairly decent selection of books, and sometimes he strays from these, but I usually read him at least one or two from this list every day.  I can't complain...most of them have a good amount of words and a good variety of themes.  It's not like he wants the same firetruck book read over and over and over...at least not yet!

I bought him some new books today at the MCC thrift store!  It's hard to beat 25-50c a book!  You never know what Levi is going to love and latch onto and what will sit on the shelf for the next 6 months, unopened.  But here are a few of the classics I stumbled upon that certainly brought back fond memories for me! 

We'll see if Levi likes any of these :)  And then this evening, after I tucked Levi into bed, I scouted amazon.ca looking for a few more memories and found these:
Do any of these books bring back memories for you?  It's amazing how it just takes me back in time to even just see these covers.  It's like I'm sitting in my mom's lap at bedtime, on the bottom bunk of the beds my sister and I shared, with my brother on one side and my sister on the other.  It's like I'm getting that book for my birthday all over again, or tucking it into my backpack in grade 1 as I take it home to practice my reading.  Memories are powerful, yes?  It's so much fun to look back...


5 comments:

Katie D said...

Ha! I had "Mr. Tootles"...I don't remember being a big fan, though. Probably more of a boy thing being a train and all. I unfortunately forget a lot of the really little books that I used to love, but I always recognise them as soon as I see them! I know that when I got a bit older I loved an illustrated OT Bible stories book(I admit, because the illustrations were so beautiful), a big book full of kids versions of fairy tales(and I still love fairy tales to this day!), and I loved and still love The Velveteen Rabbit. Probably one of my favs. I also loved lots of Beatrix Potter stuff.
Yep, childhood memories are seriously powerful. So many of the things I loved then I continue to gravitate to even now..I seriously can't wait to read my little twirp the books I loved someday. Glad you enjoy yourself too!

Karis Brandes said...

A&L LOOOOVE Tootles. If I "forget" to read it at bedtime they get very upset with me :)

Chantelle - ThousandSquareFeet said...

Though I don't have any memories of books being read to me when I was a child, the Dick and Jane books have been fantastic for my young readers. They are some of the best books to give them the confidence to learn to read so if Levi doesn't like it now, wait until he can read himself. We have numerous Dick and Jane and those are the ones they read over and over just because they can.

Trev and Rebekah said...

books are great. I am so thankful my son loves them. HE gets to read them in quiet time, on road trips, etc. I hated to read until I was in grade 5 so I am glad he's not me.

Dick and Jane are classic.

Sparlingo said...

I totally forgot about it, but that book in the last image you posted - I'm positive that we had it growing up, and I loved it.

Also, now that I've found the 21st century, I follow you using Bloglovin', so I'll always catch your posts.