Saturday, June 1, 2013

Four Months Old

Kayden will be four months old in a couple days but we will be in Manitoba (her first trip out of province!) so I figured I'd take some pictures and write this post today.  What's four days, right?
Kayden is a lightweight in that she is only around 13 1/2 lbs now. You'd never guess that from her cheeks and general "chub" though!  I guess we make roly-poly babies.  I certainly don't mind :) And that is more than double her 6lb7oz birth weight so I'd say we're right on track.  She is mostly in 3-6 month clothes, heading quickly for exclusively 6 month size.
Kayden is smiling more than ever but is still more on the serious side, taking everything in and looking, looking, looking.  I mentioned to my dad at one point early in her life that when we carry her, she is often trying to see where we're going instead of just being content to "see" whatever is in her line of vision (the ceiling or whatever is behind us).  She's been like this since she was probably only a month old.  Always curious.
We are also starting to get a few more chuckles out of her.  And when you get the first few chuckles out of your baby, as any parent knows, you will do whatever it was that made them laugh over and over and over again, trying desperately to keep them laughing.  Late for a meeting?  Well, my baby was laughing...I couldn't stop saying "SOOOO big!" as long as she was laughing about it!
Kayden is always sucking on something, usually her fists or fingers.  We've tried giving her toys and she enjoys sucking on those too but has yet to actually hold any, never mind grab them and bring them to her mouth on her own.  In time I'm sure it will come!  The drool is picking up these days...not sure if we're teething already or if it's just a product of all the sucking.  She's mostly happy so I'm thinking it can't be teething yet.
Kayden's hair hasn't grown at all since birth, I don't think.  She lost the hair on the top of her head in the first few weeks and developed cradle cap almost right away.  Same pattern as her brother.  As of yesterday, I've gotten rid of the cradle cap. (YAY!!! her head is so shiny now!) I seemed to remember Levi's hair coming in quite a bit faster once the cradle cap was gone so here's hoping this girl starts filling in her bald patches soon.  Speaking of bald patches, I mentioned last month that Kayden's bald spot on the back of her head was hardly bigger than a loonie.  Well...I shouldn't have said anything because in the couple days after writing that, it grew to about three times that size!  Oh well.  What can you do? :)
Kayden is still very loved by her brother who often asks to hold her.  His loving hasn't produced as many tears this month which has been SO nice!  I'm not sure if he's being more gentle or if she's just better able to handle the rough play now that she's a bit older.  Levi loves to put his fingers in her mouth for her to "chew" on.  It grosses me out but hey, she'll have a good immune system.  He calls her "Miss Kayden" and "Sweetie" and says that she is "soooo cuuuute!" on a regular basis.  He desperately wants to share his room with her but with her still being up in the night, I'm not sure I want to make the switch.  She sleeps soundly in our room and doesn't cry at all when she's up for a feed.  I'm a little nervous to move her in case I don't hear her right away and let her get worked up.  Then again, if I didn't hear her right away, she might just put herself back to sleep and sleep through the night...hmm.  It could go either way!  She's only up once or twice a night for a quick feed and diaper change though, so I can't complain about that.  She's usually up between 2-4am and then again between 5:30-7:30.  Sometimes she skips the second feed which is always nice.  She wakes up for the day around 8-8:30.  Kayden takes three naps each day: a 30-45 minute nap morning and evening and then a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.  She goes to bed fairly well between 8-9pm. 
Kayden's eyes are still blue with no hint of any other colour coming in.  I always said that I'd be shocked if I had a blue-eyed baby which is why I keep mentioning that her eyes are STILL blue!  Levi's were long brown by this age.  I think they're just beautiful but am learning what it means to dress a blue-eyed baby and take pictures of a blue-eyed baby.  It's all just a little different!

Kayden remains a very content and easy-going baby.  She cries when she's really really hungry, when she's dirty (and we don't notice and change her right away), and especially when she's tired (this is a new one...she used to just let herself fall asleep when she was tired).  She doesn't love the Jolly Jumper, exersaucer, nor Bumbo.  She holds her head up pretty well but isn't too steady yet without decent support.  She gets tired really easily in those upright toys/seats.  She fell off the couch for the first time this month.  She napped in her crib (not playpen) for the first time this month.  She was babysat for the first time this month by my parents when Nathan and I went out for supper for our anniversary (managed to squeeze in a date between feeds!).  She went to her first garage sale this month (and many more since).  She has been "talking" alot more this month.  She's still on the quieter side, but when she gets excited or when you're talking to her, she'll start making some pretty happy noises :)

These have been some wonderful months and we're enjoying and loving you immensely, Kayden Grace.  We're looking forward to your fifth month and all it brings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heehee, oh your kids are so cute. I can't believe Levi's personality! What a little gentleman. And he's right, Kayden IS soooo cute! Her eyes are just gorgeous and she has such pretty skin.

I'm really interested in your monthly updates, because I have no idea when what happens(when babies usually reach certain milestones)...interesting stuff! - Katie D