Friday, September 6, 2013

Oils of the day

Kayden woke up last night around 10:30pm and just wouldn't settle again (usually I just need to go in and pat her side a few times and she's back to sleep). She was just getting more and more worked up as time passed. I noticed that she'd spit up more that day and had an unusually large baby cereal snack right before bed so I thought her tummy might be bothering her. It also seemed like a pain/discomfort thing as she would calm right down then her face would scrunch up and she would arch her back and be wailing again. SO, I pulled out my oils, hopeful that she would settle quickly once I used them on her. Because I suspected tummy troubles, I put peppermint on her tummy. I used lavender on top of that hoping it would settle her and help her sleep. And then, because she was so worked up by this time, I put a drop of peace and calming oil on her feet. I used all of these with a carrier oil (coconut oil). So, the moment of truth...drumroll please!  Did it work?  Not at all. Nothing. She just kept crying and arching her back. Finally I nursed her, even though I KNEW she wasn't hungry, and that calmed her down and she settled into a deep sleep for the next almost 5 hours. I was disappointed that the oils didn't help more. Maybe I used the wrong ones or in the wrong places?  I'm still learning so that could be it. But I know from experience that feeding her when I did would have produced the same reaction, whether or not I'd used the oils. So...the oils were a fail last night. Anyone who is into oils have any suggestions for next time?  Gentle baby?  Or a different oil/placement?  Let me know!

No comments: