Sunday, July 26, 2009

I had quite the morning at church.

Being at church seems like the wrong thing to call the experience I had this morning.

It was more like hanging out with a church.

What makes a church? Is it the people or the place?

Should "church" be rehearsed like a performance or casual and flexible like a family gathering?

I came away from our gathering this morning refreshed. I came away challenged. I came away with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step. I had fun with the church today.

What was it that made my experience this morning SO good?

It may have been an old acquaintance leading hymns by request and giving a short speech about singing "in color" by using harmony when the first verse was sung quite unenthusiastically and flat.

It may have been the little girl behind me who was singing out, not afraid of who heard, and sounding quite good because she sings out confidently every Sunday...(and all we sang today were hymns)

It may have been the people sharing about Mennonite World Conference in Paraguay.

It may have been the people sharing about their coming year that has been dedicated, as a family, to inner city mission work...the sharing that kept going and going and going...the passion that they spoke with...

It may have been that the pastor felt free to put his sermon aside after all the sharing that had been happening through music and missions and simply shared a story about his week of speaking at camp.

It could have been the amazing time I had last night with God before I went to bed and that I woke up ready to worship.

It could have been alot of things. But I know that hanging out with the church today was amazing and has me challenged to look for more (and be more) in whatever church body I find myself in next. WE are the church. Let's enjoy getting together. If the sermon is getting in the way, put it aside. If the singing isn't quite up to par, share your passion for music and help others catch it.

What is getting together for but to encourage, challenge, strengthen, teach, learn from, and love each other?

What was church like for you this week?

Why did you go?

Who did you see?

What was your favorite part of worship?

Do you have fun hanging out with the church?

1 comment:

Trev and Rebekah said...

Church was fun today because I went to a different church in town where my hubby preached. My parents were out and watched my son so that I could enjoy a morning with my husband and be there to support him rather than run after my son. I enjoyed catching up with two of my girl friends from my bible study group as well.