Friday, January 14, 2011

Oh Henry Squares

2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup syrup
3 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt
6 oz chocolate chips
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter

Cream butter/margarine and sugar.  Add oats, syrup, vanilla, and salt.  Stir to blend.  Press firmly into 9x13 inch pan.  Bake at 375 F for 12 to 15 minutes.  Microwave chocolate chips and peanut butter for 2 minutes on defrost.  Let cake cool slightly then spread with melted topping.
____________________________

This is what I'm making right now.  I'm at the "let cake cool slightly" part.  It smells wonderful in here and I can't wait to try it.  I've never made this before so I'll let you know how it is and whether you should drop everything and make your own right now, or if it's a pass.  Now that I've posted this, though, I'm sure hoping that it's good!


And the verdict is... ... ...WOW!  It's nothing like an Oh Henry bar, but oh SO good!  I strongly suggest that you make some of these tonight.  Do it...

2 comments:

Karis Brandes said...

I have a recipe very similar to this and I LOOOOOOOOVE it! I craved it (and ate it) lots during pregnancy... and post-pregnancy I still crave and eat it a lot... it's just that good!

Alicia Buhler said...

Since when do they put oatmeal in o henry bars? Sounds delicious though, and had Carrie not made rice krispie squares with chocolate/peanut butter topping last night, I would definitely be making this tonight.