Monday, January 31, 2011

Worth thinking about...

I've been thinking about the Sabbath lately.  Actually, I should say that I've been reading a book called "Sabbath" by Dan Allender and that's what has me thinking about the topic. *a few of these thoughts are taken from there, so to avoid anything even remotely like plagiarism, I'll admit that now*  What is the Sabbath?  Is it really a command as important as "Do not steal" or "Do not kill"?  How is it supposed to look in our lives?  And what does it mean for a stay-at-home wife and mother? (Warning: If you don't like inconclusive thoughts that spew in a number of different directions and never arrive at a final destination, you should probably stop reading now)

In this book, Allender talks about how the Sabbath is a command that we should all obey.  He points out that it is, in fact, one of the ten commandments.  Ok.  This hit me JUST a little.  I've always known that the Sabbath was important, but as important as not killing someone or stealing from them?  Really?  Wow.  That's pretty important. 

So if the Sabbath is so important, what is it supposed to look like?  Are we supposed to count our steps and not walk more than 100 in case it turns into work?  Or are we supposed to not drive anywhere?  Or is driving to church and home again ok, but not to the mall?  Is it even ok to go to the mall on the Sabbath?  And what about the grocery store to pick up a few things that you need for lunch?  Speaking of lunch, that's right, today we decided to eat out.  Is that allowed, or should we refrain from eating out on the Sabbath because we are "making" someone else work on the Sabbath?  Or maybe the reason to not eat out on the Sabbath is because we needed to drive to the restaurant, walk to our table, and pay for our food .  If we're not careful, the Sabbath can become awfully legalistic, and I think that is almost as serious as ignoring the day altogether.

At this point I sit back and ponder what I've been reminded of so far. 
-  The Sabbath is a command and, therefore, a very important day to honour every week. 
-  We should not be legalistic about what we do or do not do on the Sabbath. 
It seems like there is a big margin of ways to go wrong here...

This is where I get stuck a bit.  See, I am a stay-at-home mom.  My "job" is to take care of Levi, to cook meals, to clean up, to be at home and keep things running smoothly on a day-to-day basis.  Yet a big part of the Sabbath for most people is not going in to work.  See my dilemma? What happens if your work is around you just as much on the Sabbath as it is every other day of the week?  Levi and Nathan need to be fed just as much as any other day.  Levi's diapers need to be changed and, as much as I may try to plan ahead, I may need to throw a load of dirty diapers into the washing machine.  My work doesn't necessarily stop (though there are things I can put off doing for a day and I do recognize that) just because it is the Sabbath.  My Sabbaths don't necessarily feel like a day that's more "special" than the rest. 

Another thought I have is, if Sabbath doesn't merely mean staying home from work (because, in addition to stay-at-home moms, some people are unemployed), there must be something more.  Some people spend every day watching tv or playing golf or taking care of their family, yet we are all called to take a Sabbath.  What makes a Sabbath look different than any other day for these people?  Could it be possible that we are commanded to make the Sabbath a more special day than just your average day off and to do different things than just your typical "shut off your mind" type things?  Could it be possible that we are commanded to celebrate one day of the week more than the rest?

I find this fascinating to think about.  And I am inspired to find some ways to make the Sabbath back into what God meant it to be.  It's got to be more than just a day off spending the afternoon in front of the tv or taking a nap (though those could be wonderful components of the day!).  More than just going to church in the morning and assuming that this fills the requirement yet feeling disappointed and unrenewed as we begin the new week. 

God gave us a wonderful gift in giving us a weekly Sabbath.  Allender describes it as a day that you should anticipate every week like a child anticipates Christmas, feet swinging and eyes shining.  It is a day to prepare for and delight in.  I'm excited about what this is going to look like in my life because, as much as I have a hard time imagining it, I'm sure God didn't exclude wives and mothers from this command : )

3 comments:

Stacey said...

When I think about the commandments, I also think of the New Testament, and how it says that the law was there to point us toward Christ. To show us how we just COULDN'T keep it all perfectly, and that's why we need Christ.

So, in that light, I believe that it is important to rest. So maybe just doing things that absolutely have to be done, like feeding our families, etc. And prepare in advance, so you're not cooking a huge meal on Sunday. Do something restful, and most of all, keep the focus on Christ, where it should be.

But I don't think that God expects "perfection" in resting. If you know what I mean :) The Pharisees made the Sabbath into a huge ordeal, with so many laws about it, when it was only meant to point them to God.

Alicia Buhler said...

"...in the book of Exodus we read, 'In six days God made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day God rested, and was refreshed.' Here the word "refreshed" literally means "and God exhaled." The creation of the world was like the life-quickening inhale. The Sabbath is the exhale. Thus...all creation moves with the rhythm of the inhale and the exhale. Without the Sabbath exhale, the life-giving inhale is impossible." ~Wayne Muller in Sabbath.

Sylvia said...

I read a book a number of years ago called Making Sunday Special. I should read it again in light of the thinking I've been doing about Sabbath in the last couple of years and see if I still like it. If so, maybe you'd like to read it too and see what you think.