Monday, March 7, 2011

SPRING! (is not here yet)

Every year, when the temperatures start to rise...oh wait, they haven't started to rise yet.  Let me re-think this.  I'll get back to you...

Every year, when the days start getting longer and and the months start starting with M's and A's, spring fever hits.  It seems like everything in my life should suddenly have a fresh start.  It's almost like my "new years resolutions" come in March/April more than they do in January...

This is the time of year when I feel like cleaning my house inside and out.  Well, ok...I don't feel like cleaning the outside until May or June.  But I do start wanting the inside to "shine" a bit more these days.  Perhaps this is due to the extended daylight hours and the sun kindly pointing out all the dust bunnies that have made themselves at home over the last few months?  Whatever the case, this is the time of year to wash walls, windows, and floors.  It's time to dust every surface in the house and reorganize each and every closet and cupboard.  It's time to give those dust bunnies their eviction notice. (wow, that sounds especially harsh...poor bunnies.  Maybe I'll let them stay another week) And while this all sounds so lovely, let me get sidetracked for a moment and say that everything is different for me when we're renting short term.  *sigh*  I just keep asking myself, "will it pay to put all that energy into a deep clean when we'll be moving on in - hopefully - three or four months?"  Nevertheless, that is not the point of this post.  I am merely saying that cleaning is my natural inclination come spring.  Bring on the cleaning lady! (me)

Once the days start getting longer, I find myself drawn to the great outdoors a whole lot more too.  I basically become a hermit in the winter.  I don't enjoy the cold.  For the most part, I don't enjoy the snow either.  I would gladly just stay cozied up inside from the time of the first snowfall until the spring runoff hits.  But, when the supper dishes are clean and I see that there is still some beautiful daylight left to enjoy, the pull to go outside for an evening walk is strong.  And as the days get longer and warmer, the pull becomes nearly irresistible.  I would live outside all summer if I could...

When I'm outside for my evening walks these days (ok, I've only taken one after-supper walk since the feeling hit), I am reminded of another part of spring for me.  Spring is when I feel like I should get in shape again after a winter of cookie-eating and couch-sitting.  I, then, make all these plans in my mind to eat healthier and do at least a bit of intentional working out each day.  Some of those things happen...some happen no more than once...but others remain merely a nice thought.  The beautiful thing about thoughts, though, is that they were fun while they lasted!  Ha!  This year, I would love to do a bit of stomach-toning and overall endurance training.  Muscle-building is on that list as well, but the beauty of having a young child is that this is automatically built into your routine.  And, the weight is automatically increased for you!  I'm up to a 16lb weight that I lift and swing and carry multiple times a day.  Whoo-hoo!  Bring on the biceps!  Stomach and endurance?  Here's hoping...

Another thing that seems to come alive once spring nears, is my mind.  I have snippets of real thought throughout the winter months, but much of it is a bit fuzzy and it feels like it takes so much energy to actually process anything. (Could this be my lack of exercise and fresh air?  Hmm...)  Anyway, in spring it seems that my brain starts to process all sorts of things again.  Connections are made faster.  My memory improves (ever so slightly!).  It almost feels like my sensors and thoughts become 3D again in spring.  Colour comes back to my life.  I no longer feel like I am functioning in various shades of grey.  Today is an orange day?  Then it is a bright, neon orange day!  Today is blue?  Well, at least it is a strong, peacock blue that I'm experiencing!  I love my mind, and I love when my mind is feeling alive.

The thaw of spring is truly wonderful.  I've often wondered if I would miss it if my seasons were less clearly defined for me as they are here on the Canadian prairies.  (FYI: after living in Cali, I now know that I don't actually miss it very much)  But there is something nice about emerging after a season of rest and inactivity.  It feels like it's time to start freshening everything up again.  It's time to scrub the winter off of everything and rush forward to embrace spring with a clean house, healthy body, and strong mind.

Spring is almost here!  Yahoo!

No comments: