Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Summer Read...

When I was young, probably starting around the time I started reading, my summers would always be filled with reading clubs.  Either through our local library, or through a Christian Book distributor (whoever had the better prizes!), I would sign up and fill out page after page of books that I'd read throughout summer vacation.  I would read while we were in the car on vacation.  I would read before going to bed.  I would read to and from trips to town in our car.  I would read in the hammock.  I would spend entire days just reading!


I have such fond memories of checking out book after book (usually 10 or 15 at a time!) from our library and poring over them, just absorbing the stories.  As I got older, my summers ceased to involve reading clubs.  I was a bit sad when I reached their age limits.  I've always continued to read, though.

Often in my summers, I like to pick out a book from my growing up years and re-read it while on vacation.  There is something so simple and wonderful about going outside with a good book and spending hours just swaying in a hammock and experiencing someone else's story for a while.  I'm not sure what my summer read will be this year.  A couple years ago (four summers ago) I re-read Charlotte's Web while at Nathan's grandma's cottage out in Ontario. Whatever I choose this year, I have a feeling that it'll be a wonderfully relaxing summer...

What is your favorite childhood chapter book?  Any suggestions for my summer reading list?

3 comments:

Kelsie-Lynn said...

My favs were Charlotte's Web and Anne of Green Gables. I love rereading them and now can't wait to read them to Alexis one day.

Marsha said...

i loved the hobbit and sophies heart

Alicia Buhler said...

I'm trying to remember the titles of books that we read together as a family while on summer vacation, but I just can't remember any of them...

Happy reading!