Thursday, May 20, 2010

A love/hate relationship...

So...how many of you have ever lived in Hepburn, Saskatchewan?  (Is it safe to write the name of a specific town on a blog???)  I went to Bethany College right after high school for two years and have been back every so often since now that my parents-in-law live there.  Last summer we set up our "home" in their spare bedroom and this summer it is kinda our "home base" again, at least until we start renting something more permanent in August. 

ANYWAY...Hepburn.  What is the first thing you think of when I mention this place?  What if I add the word "laundry" to this little game of word association?  That's right...Hepburn has HARD water!  This is where the love/hate relationship lies.  Between me and the Hepburn water.  It's terrible for laundry (turns your whites to more of an ivory or yellow), horrible to drink, atrocious to try to wash your car with, and it cakes everything with water touching it with a layer of white crust.  Not fun.  That is definitely the "hate" side of the relationship.  I have, however, found a "love" side to this.  This hard water is absolutely amazing for my skin.  I don't know what it is, but it seems that the longer I spend time in this town, washing my face with nothing but water, the more my skin clears up.  I seem to remember the same thing happening when I was here during Bible school and now, whenever we spend a week or so here, I notice the difference.  I guess that just goes to prove that there is often a silver lining to some of the less lovely aspects of life.

___________________________________

In other news, Nathan and I just got back from looking at three housing options here in town.  We looked at two houses and a basement suite, all to rent.  I definitely liked the four bedroom house best, but for what we need and what we can afford, we decided to go with the basement suite.  (Maybe if we were looking to buy, we would consider the spacious house!)  I am excited to move in come August and make the place home for us.  It's so fun to be able to picture it in my mind and start thinking about what I am going to do with the place!  Time to start dreaming...

1 comment:

Chantelle - ThousandSquareFeet said...

Whenever I think of Hepburn, I think of certain in-laws of yours and the fantastic visits we have had. Maybe we will have to come out again and visit with all of you! Oh, I am sure Rick and Syl are in their glory knowing all their kids are so close once again!