Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sneak Peek...and questions

One of the pictures from the photo shoot yesterday...anyone want to guess why Levi looks so happy?
________________________________

I have a few questions for anyone who knows anything about babies.

1.  Levi has a red, pimply rash on his face and neck that has just been getting progressively worse since Monday.  We haven't changed any soaps or anything and the doctor said it is nothing to worry about but it looks terrible.  Any ideas on ways to get rid of it?

2.  Drying cloth diapers.  What is the best way to do this?  I have the bumGenius Organic AIO's and I'd heard that they take a long time to dry but I didn't realize that "a long time" meant 4-5 dryer cycles.  They are pretty much impossible.  Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up the drying time?  Air dry with a fan?

3.  Levi has developed a habit of not staying latched when he's feeding.  He'll swallow once and then pop off.  He'll latch again, suck a couple times, then pop off again.  Even when he has a good latch, he won't just stay and eat.  He was a pro nurser until this started just this week.  It sometimes takes half the feed to just get him to stay put.  Besides being frustrating, I think this is causing him to get alot of air and he burps/spits up alot after feedings.  How can I break this habit??  Has anyone else experienced this?

7 comments:

Stacey said...

1. It's baby acne, and there is nothing you can (or should) do about it. Sorry. I know it sucks seeing your perfect little newborn covered in the stuff! My kids all got it, and it eventually goes away on it's own. Emery's took the longest, around 3 weeks I think.

2. Wow. I think maybe your dryer has issues! How long is one cycle? I have never had a diaper that took longer than around 90 minutes to dry on low heat. Maybe that's long, I don't know, but it's one dryer cycle, lol :)

3. I'm not sure what to do about this one. Did it only start once your milk came in? Or did it start well after that? If your milk is coming too fast, he might be popping off for that reason. An awesome website for all things breastfeeding is http://kellymom.com You can look up pretty much anything there! I found it incredibly useful.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

This Aveeno baby cream has worked miracles on Alexis skin. She had a few rashes and this has always worked better than anything even prescriptions. http://www.aveeno.com/baby-care/soothing-relief-moisture-cream
I get it at Shoppers or London Drugs.

As for question 3 is your milk letting down really fast? Alexis would do that if the milk was coming to fast and she couldn't keep up. There are a few ways to stop that if you think its that let me know I'll give you the info I had.

I love the picture! Can't wait to see more!

Chantelle - ThousandSquareFeet said...

My guess is he peed! You look a little . . . unimpressed! However, it is still a lovely photo! As for question number 3, I found that sometimes I had to hold my finger just close to the areola to compress the breast a little, making it easier to latch on to. Does that make sense? Once the breast was a little emptier, I no longer needed to do that. That might be why he is fine halfway through. If you have more questions, feel free to email me rather than us having the breast discussion for all to read! :)

Morgan said...

1. Definately baby acne. Both of my kids had it pretty badly. I wasn't intenbtionally trying to get rid of it but I stumbled on a product that took it away for Lucas. When Kezia got it I tried it on her and it got rid of hers as well. I suggested it to a friend of mine when her little guy got baby acne and it worked for him too. You might want to try it. It is by a company called "dimpleskins naturals" and is called "sweet cheeks". They have a website you can look at to read abut the products and you can purchase it from a store called lil Sprouts on Broadway in Saskatoon. It in the avalon shopping mall (south broadway). Hope this helps you out :)

Ps-I have arrived at your blog via Kelsie-Lynn Harms. Just wanted to let you know your lil man is super cute!!

Trev and Rebekah said...

Yep baby acne. Isaiah had it at 3 till 4 or 5 weeks old. I felt bad for him but it does eventually go away.

My guess is a strong let down or maybe not even getting enough?

Who takes your pictures?

CanadaGirlmovestoCali said...

Hi Niki,
We are so excited for you guys. Congratulations. The comments already made sound good. Most kids get that acne. It will go away.
The one thing I can add about the dryer (besides the fact you may want to see if it needs fixing) is that you can get Norwex Drying Balls (since they are chemically free and environmentally good) and they lessen your time of drying things. If you don't know of someone to buy them through, I am a Canadian consultant and can order them for you.
If things continue with the nursing, I recommend going to a LaLeche group or going to your local clinic that will usually have a time nursing mothers need questions answered. They will watch and see why he is doing this as there could be a few different reasons. If your milk is coming down fast.. let a bit down first and then latch him on.. that may help.

Alicia Buhler said...

Loving the new blog layout!

As for question 3, I was also wondering if trying different nursing positions might help?