Friday, November 26, 2010

I laughed today when...

So, today was an insane day in the city, lots of waiting and traffic and not alot of fun.  But that is a different story.  While we were in the city, though, I had some time to kill so I went into Please Mum to see if I could find any cute outfits for Levi.  I finally found my way to the back corner where the newborn stuff is and was scouting out my options - which are very limited, by the way - when the helpful sales lady offered her expertise.

"Looking for a gift?"

I replied that I was just seeing what was there and thinking of getting something for my 7 week old son.

Well, she must have missed the word "son" or something.  I should have clued in because the next thing I knew, she was trying to convince me that a 7 week old probably isn't wearing 3 month clothes anymore and that I must be mistaken.  I said that yes, he is wearing 3 month clothes, despite what your 4 month old nephew is wearing, and that, in fact, he's starting to fit into the 3-6 month size.

I shrugged it off and made a comment about how smart it was that their overalls had snaps on the bottom and how annoying infant pants are that don't have snaps.  She said, "Yes, I bet your mom would find the overalls great because the snaps make changing diapers so easy."  At this point I started to understand that something hadn't gotten through to this lady, but wondered what my mom had to do with it.  I mentioned that I would be the one changing most of the diapers.  The lady was quiet, probably wondering what was going on.  So was I...

Eventually the saleslady walked back to the til, but not before wishing me luck in finding something for my little brother.  Finally it clicked.  She thought I was a helpful older sister, probably with an absent or neglectful mother, who was the primary caregiver for her infant brother.  I laughed inside but failed to correct her.  I also didn't make eye contact with this lady for the remainder of my time in the store, a bit embarrassed for her lack of understanding, especially when Nathan and Levi joined me in the store a few minutes later.  Or did she just think that Nathan was being the helpful older brother?  hahaha.  Lovely.  No longer am I the pregnant teenage delinquent.  Now I'm reduced to being merely a helpful older sister buying clothes for her younger brother.  While it is mildly entertaining when my role is mistaken, I'd rather be recognized as the mother that I am.  Though in a few years, I'll probably not mind being the "older sister".  : D

Oh, and by the way, Please Mum is having a 50% off everything in the store sale...just so you know.

3 comments:

Sparlingo said...

Oh, Niki! Sadly it was destined to happen to you at least once.

People can be so ignorant - in the literal sense of the word :). I'm sure she was embarrassed when (if?) she figured it out! And she was trying to be so helpful.

Too funny!

Alyssa said...

Oh boy...but I agree with the above comment...she was probably embarrassed when she figured it out!

Reminds me of a few weekends ago when we took our senior youth to a youth weekend retreat at SBC (IMPACT). Apparently the speaker for the event commented to one of the profs at SBC (who knows me very well) that he noticed that there was a (very) pregnant teenager at the retreat. Nevertheless, that prof came and let me know and we had a good laugh over that.

Anyways...hope you have a lovely day :)

Alicia Buhler said...

well, at least you have a story to tell...