Friday, November 19, 2010

These are a few of my favourite things...

Lately I have really been enjoying spending my allowance. : )  I often end up forgetting that I get an allowance, or just not buying anything for a few months and, before I know it, I am able to treat myself to a few things!

A couple weeks ago I treated myself to this:
(A one year subscription to Canadian Living...nothing like paying someone to send you mail each month!  They sent me a special offer and I was tempted.  Then they sent me an even better offer and I accepted.  $15 for a year.  My Mennonite roots are happy.  Or maybe my Mennonite roots would have held out for yet a better offer...or gone to MCC to purchase a whole box of previous issues.)

Then, this week I ordered this:
(It's a kit for that very adorable afghan.  I like to have a "winter project" each year so that I have something to do on those long winter evenings.  I like to choose something that will take longer than just a week or two.  Hopefully this blanket will keep me busy for at least a month!  And it's just so cute!  Hopefully Levi likes it...)
_________________________

Ok, so that's not much that I've treated myself to.  But our allowances aren't terribly big given our student budget (aka no income and paying tuition out the wazoo) so even this feels like a great treat!  But, just for fun, here are a few more things that I would have no problem treating myself to, if the budget allowed.

Laugh with me now.  Who wouldn't want to treat themselves to a house?  Nathan and I really enjoyed most aspects of being homeowners and are looking forward to buying our own place again one day.  One.  Day.  I'm sure it won't be this year!
         _________________________
 
A new sewing machine would be fun.  Though the one I have works wonderfully and does basically everything I need and want it to do...
_________________________

A serger.  Ever since I used one of these in high school home ec class, I've been in love.  For those of you who haven't discovered the greatness, it's a machine that makes all your edges finished (cuts off loose threads and binds the edge AT THE SAME TIME!  Love it.
_________________________

And to go with my two new machines...stacks and stacks of fabric to make things out of!  I'm especially enjoying quilting right now, but other things like bags, clothes (especially fun if I had little girls), and home decor items are lots of fun too!
_________________________

Maid Service.  Normally, I have no problem cleaning my own house.  In the past, I have found it relaxing and enjoyable.  When we got a dog, cleaning got a bit harder to stay on top of but Lennox was our baby so I did it and still rather enjoyed it.  Now we have a real baby.  Now dog hair gets on my nerves...dog hair swirling on the floor (and we sweep every day, people), dog hair on the carpet, dog hair on our clothes, dog hair in my crocheting, dog hair in Levi's hands and mouth (and he doesn't even play with Lennox yet!).  Add to that the muddy dog prints that every once in a while sneak their way across my kitchen floor and I'm ready to hire someone to keep this place clean!
_________________________

My slow cooker died (again) right in the middle of cooking us some beef dip the other day.  It's died before but Nathan was able to fix it.  This time, when I plugged it in, it didn't go on.  I wiggled the cord a bit and it worked.  Knowing it was likely to lose connection again, I checked back on it often.  About 3 hours in - 4 hours from being ready - I went to check it and it was off.  And not hot anymore.  And wiggling the cord didn't help at all.  I put our beef dip in the oven to finish cooking and threw my slow cooker across the room put my slow cooker away.  Part of the greatness of a crock pot is not having to worry about supper.  If I have to check on it constantly, doesn't that take away a little bit of the convenience?  A new slow cooker definitely makes my "treat" list!
_________________________

A moss green coverset from Creative Memories to do Levi's baby book.  They didn't have this color when I was a consultant and I really really like it!  It's not the typical baby blue, which I like.  Hmm...I might have to save up for this one...

 _________________________


What would you spend your allowance on today?

2 comments:

Karis Brandes said...

Well this helps me know what to get you for Christmas :) Would you like a house or a serger?

Sparlingo said...

Good list. I'd have sent you my great old crockpot but 1) I just gave it away for free here, 2) shipping :). Good thing they're not that expensive, and last practically forever.

Hm - great question. I've already spent my allowance this month :).

My non-skinny jeans ripped in the crotch, so that automatically bumped new pants up on the list :(.

Jeremy and I are looking at a house to buy, so a cute entry way console/table thing is on my mind. Or a custom closet (*drool!*).

I'd also gladly take a hard-case for my banjo.

Or banjo lessons.

Or an itemized list of things I could get my family secret santa recipient (I'm stumped!).