Thursday, November 25, 2010

Old things new again...

I love when old things become new again.  It's such a fresh feeling, isn't it?  We have two reasons for feeling fresh in our house this week (oh come on, people...not like that).  Read on, my friends, and you too will be refreshed...

NUMERO UNO:
Does anyone remember the quilt that I made back in early 2009?  It looked something like this...actually it looked exactly like this because this is a picture of it:


 (you'll have to put the two halves together in your mind...)

Well, I didn't plan it very well and, when I cut the t-shirts up, I didn't allow for any seam allowances.  Oops!  The entire quilt was just pieces sewn together hither-nither.  The edges weren't straight and it was lumpy everywhere.  Really, it was just a terrible attempt at a quilt.  But, I was sick of the quilt being "in progress" - the top took me so long! - so I sewed on the back (which obviously didn't fit because it was all weirdly shaped) and put it away.  Done.  Or so I thought...

I got it out again a year and a half later.  Which was this summer.  When I seam-ripped the entire quilt apart.  Each.  Individual.  Square.  But today, I finally got it all put back together and done!  Again.

Round #2 looks much better:

(it still is a tad lumpy, but at least it mostly lays flat and you can actually see all of the t-shirt pieces because none of them folded over the side onto the back...)

NUMERO DOS:
And now, for the second old thing that became new at our house this week.  (Anyone who ever plans to visit us can thank us.)  Did I ever share our lovely toilet seat with you?  When we first moved in, this classy wooden toilet seat had a large crack separating the left side of the seat from the right side.  I fixed it with duct tape after a few splinter scares and yes, I took a picture:


We used the toilet like this for WAY too long - almost 4 months - and made WAY too many guests use it as well, all the while waiting for maintenance to come and fix it.  Along the way we had two helpful guests offer to fix it for us (because when we tried, the bolts were rusted on so badly that we couldn't even get the old one off) but we finally bought a new seat and fixed it ourselves!  (moral of the story...don't wait for maintenance)  And yes, I took another picture.  Because as disgusting as toilet pictures are, they will make it into my scrapbook so that my kids can look at it and be disgusted as well.

For all you out there who have been thinking of visiting, consider this your open invitation:

3 comments:

Alicia Buhler said...

Your last comment about an "open invitation" made me chuckle. And nice work on that blanket, taking apart the whole thing - that is dedication!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I love the quilt idea and I can't believe you had to fix it on your own. Glad you were able too but seriously you shouldn't have HAD too.
ps. I didn't forget about the swing I am going to send it with Tim on Monday when he comes to town.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I left a comment but it got lost I guess. When we lived in our own home we used super glue to fix things...we laugh about it today.