Sunday, August 28, 2011

Kitchen Re-Organization...part 1

So...pinterest*.  Who's with me?  How many home renos and redecorating stories can be blamed on pinterest, really?  TONS, I'm sure.  Having just bought a house and being in the "making it our own" stage, I have been stalking pinterest faithfully, looking for ideas for each room of the house.  Last night it was kitchen pictures that were catching my eye.  Now, I would LOVE to have a brand new kitchen with custom cabinets and... ... ... drool.  But that said, I am positive that I can make these cabinets last for a few years yet and even be happy with them.  All it'll take is some re-organization and beautifying.  As I combed through the pictures, a picture of a fridge stuck out to me.  My first thought was, "why would someone pin a picture of a fridge?"  And then I looked closer.  And then I went to the website behind the picture.  And before I knew it, I had explored the kitchen of a perfect stranger.  And right then and there, I was inspired to revamp my poor kitchen into a thing a beauty.  A work of art, per se.  Ok, maybe not that far, but indeed, it could be much more functional and organized than it is right now.  Everything has merely been brought out of boxes and thrown into the nearest available cupboard.  Time for an organizational overhaul!  And since I was inspired online by someone doing this very thing, I thought I would share what I hope will be a transformational moment right here on my blog.  So today is part 1.  BEFORE pictures!  I am slightly embarrassed, but as with every messy spot in my home right now, I just push the embarrassment aside and explain to myself and others that a month ago we weren't even living here yet.  So there.  Messes aside, this is what my kitchen looks like now:

"back" of kitchen, opposite sink

right side of u-shaped kitchen

left side of u-shaped kitchen

pantry

fridge (yes, I hope to organize this as well!)

below microwave

below microwave, right side

below microwave, left side

above microwave

above fridge
oop!  Levi!  How did you get in here?
above stove

double door cabinet on left side of kitchen

corner cabinet - pretty useless design if you ask me...tiny opening but great depths of cabinet space beyond!  Any suggestions???

single door cabinet on right side of kitchen

drawer on right side of kitchen, right side of dishwasher

drawer on right side of kitchen, left side of dishwasher

drawer on left side of kitchen, beside stove

left side of kitchen, beside stove

lazy susan on left side of kitchen sink

under sink

right side of kitchen, right side of dishwasher

right side of kitchen, left side of dishwasher
There.  Now that I've posted these pictures, I'd better get to work!  I hope to have some "after" pictures for you all by the end of the week.  Is it terrible that the thought of this makes me giddy??  Wish me luck!


*Pinterest is a vision board-styled social photo sharing website where users can create and manage theme-based image collections. - Wikipedia

2 comments:

Tara said...

I'm interested to see what you're going to do! My kitchen cupboards and drawers look very much like your "before" pictures...

Trev and Rebekah said...

I may have to check out pinterest some day. Seems lots are into it.

Looks like you have lots of Kitchen things to fill your kitchen with. That is the most daunting rooms for me I think.