Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Kitchen Re-Organization...part 2!

Well, the past two days have been spent primarily in my kitchen, emptying cabinets, reorganizing the contents, and putting everything back.  Though if I'm going to be completely honest, Monday was spent doing what I just said, Tuesday was spent wondering why I tore my kitchen apart and sitting there staring at it, lacking motivation to finish the job, and today I kicked my butt and quickly whipped things together and took pictures so I could show you some of what I've come up with!

It hasn't been the amazing transformation that I dreamed it would be, but, on a very limited budget and when working with less than ideal cabinets, I'd say that is certainly better than it was!  Some cabinets really didn't change much at all, so I'll just share with you some of the highlights : )  Enjoy!

Baking utensil drawer.  I found these great clear plastic containers at the local Bargain Shop!  They were only $2 so I bought them out.  Literally.  I'm on their "call list" for when they get more!  These originally had lids attached but the ones with separate lids were $5 and I didn't want to pay that much so I just cut the lids off!  I didn't want the lids anyway!

Spice/knife drawer.  So, this drawer isn't completely finished yet.  When I get more of those containers, the spices will go into one of those and then I'll be able to see what they are more easily.

My lazy Susan has become my baking supply cupboard.  So far Levi hasn't figured out how to get into this one, so these things are safe for a while longer...  Also, as many things as possible went into canisters.  Little items (like food colouring, etc) are grouped in bowls or containers so they're not floating around aimlessly.

This is my weird corner cupboard.  I find it far more useful now though : )  The top shelf is placemats (rarely used).  I've made use of the depth of the cupboard with those long, flat margarine containers.  They act like drawers so that I can just pull out the container to find what I want instead of digging to the back of the cabinet.  Eventually I'd like to have two more of the Bargain Shop containers, one for the middle of each shelf, and then two additional margarine containers for the other side. 

Baking central.  I moved my beaters to be with the rest of the baking stuff (they used to be top shelf in the cupboard with all the plates and bowls).  Also, I bought grippy shelf/drawer lining so that I can stand everything up.  The lining is also helpful in my one drawer that has a hole right through the bottom.  Did I mention I would love some new cabinets?!  Eventually my dream may come true...

Casserole dishes/slow cooker.  The slow cooker used to be in my "random cabinet" which had my blender, slow cooker, mixing bowls, strainer, and pitcher.  I think this placement makes a little more sense.  I also added two nails into the cabinet door to hang my oven mitts and hot pads.

The fridge hasn't been touched yet, but my freezer is getting better.  I abhor plastic bags in the freezer.  They are nuts.  When trying to find something in the freezer, I've often just gotten so frustrated that I'll just shove everything in with disgust and slam the door, only to be greeted by my overzealous ziploc bags of bread, chicken breasts, and peas the next time I open the door.  Unfortunately, bags are just the easiest way to store things in the freezer...they take up the least amount of space.  Well, remember those Bargain Shop containers that I mentioned?  Three more in here!  I've labeled them "meat," "bread," and "veggies" so that I can easily pull out the container that I need and find what I'm looking for without half the freezer landing at my feet.  Brilliant.  The freezer still has a ways to go, but I do think I'm well on my way to actually enjoying a good ol' freezer dive every now and again.

Pantry.  Top shelf - least used appliances.  Second shelf - cereals and snack foods (also corralled by boxes/containers to sort types of snacks).  Third shelf - pastas, soups, baby food, etc.  Fourth shelf - bulk spices, graters (this is a no-play zone for Levi so I don't need to worry about the graters being within reach...I just make sure the door is closed at all times), baking stone (because it's the only cupboard where it fits), Levi's bibs and wash cloths (again, in a container of their own).  Floor - bags of flour, sugar and oatmeal to re-stock the canisters, and a larger appliance.

These little containers were also $2 at Bargain Shop.  (The woman working there knew me well after 3 separate visits to buy containers in the span of just a few hours!)  It helps so much when everything has it's own place : )  I think I could be a great salesperson at The Container Store...

Cleaned this up a bit...
And voila!  That's my kitchen, on its way to being organized.  I spent a total of $25 on containers and drawer/cupboard lining.  I'd call it well worth the investment.  Now, which room should I tackle next?  Levi's bedroom, perhaps???

1 comment:

Stacey said...

It looks fantastic! My kitchen must be similar in style to yours. I hate my cabinets :) They are super heavy duty and sturdy, but set up so poorly. The corners are a nightmare! I like your freezer idea. I did see the iHeartOrganizing blog post about her kitchen, and that's what inspired me in the first place, to get cleaning!