Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Poisonwood Bible


I've just finished reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. One of our first few weeks here, I walked through the fiction section of the library on campus and chose this book to be my next read. I chose it first because of it's size. It is 543 pages long. I wanted something that would keep me going for a while. I'd say it took me about a month of before-bed reading to finish it.

It was a good book. It was written REALLY well. Things in the beginning tied beautifully into things later in the book (foreshadowing). There were images and themes that were repeated throughout the book. At times the characters would be talking about something like the Poisonwood tree, yet you knew that they were really talking about their father. The book would totally make sense if you didn't pick up on any of these underlying literary devices, but it makes it a much richer book if you do.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants something good to read in the next while. Perhaps a good book to curl up with this winter (over and over and over again).

1 comment:

Trev and Rebekah said...

This was one of our readings for Trek 5 years ago. I never finished it but that's how it usually goes whenever I pick up a book