Thursday, October 1, 2009

Russian Food

I've had this craving for Russian food today, so I think I'll try a little something-something from my homeland (or at least the homeland of some of my ancestors). I'll let you know how it turns out...


Guliash




Ingredients

  • Beef. Great fresh beef. 1.5 pounds will do.
  • A tablespoonful of flour
  • 2 big onions
  • Tomato paste
  • Oil, salt, pepper, laurel leaf


Cooking
Cut the beef into cubes 2-3 cm on each side, roll each one in flour and drop into hot oil boiling in a frying pan. Turn the pieces, so that every side of the cube is fried. This will take a few minutes only, the meat doesn’t need to be done, it only needs a crust. Then take the pieces carefully out and put them into a saucepan. Cut the onions into rings and fry them well in the same oil where you fried the meat. Add the onions to the beef in the pot, salt well, add two-three tablespoonfuls of tomato paste and some hot water, so that the meat is just covered. Then add ground black pepper and a laurel leaf, cover with a lid and stew for 45-60 minutes on a slow fire.




Update: So supper turned out pretty well and tasted alright. It wasn't either of our favorites, but not too bad either. Kinda a "meh" meal. I was hoping for an "amazing" or even a "make again." Not so much...

1 comment:

Karis Brandes said...

I can't say as I've ever craved Russian food in my life. I'm not sure I even know what Russian food is...
First potato panckaes, then Russian food - I'm so uneducated in the culinary world!