Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June days

June: our month of running around.  We spent the first five days of June in Manitoba.  The next four days have been back at Nathan's parents' place.  Tomorrow we head to my parents' place for about a week.  Then we'll be back at Nathan's parents' place for a few days.  There might be a trip to E-town after that to pick up a crib (though I found out last night that the very crib I wanted is nowhere to be found - discontinued) and to celebrate our 5th anniversary which passed by in May with hardly a moment's notice.  And, of course, there will be a drive out to visit my good friend Marsha.  She's been saying that she wants to see me, but I have a feeling that it's really McBaby that she's interested in seeing.  : )  So June is a traveling month.  But I'm excited about it.  I'm sure by the end of the month I'll be happy to just sit and be in one place for a while, but right now the thought of seeing so many people who I haven't seen in a while is just fun (even if I DO have to sit in a car for hours to get to them!). 

So, all this busyness and traveling means that the blog will oft be silent in the next few weeks.  I'll try to update as regularly as I can, but hey, that's life.  As my brother-in-law once said, "Some people live life, others just document it."  I believe he was referring to photography/scrapbooking at the time, but I think it still applies!  What a wise 10-year-old he was...

Anyway, I'll end with a question, seeing as I'm now on the hunt for the perfect crib all over again.  What, in your opinion, is the perfect crib?  I'm looking for a good balance between style, cost, and quality.  Also, any insight into crib mattresses?  Anything to avoid with those?  I've spent alot of today looking at different cribs and have a pretty good idea of what style I would like, but now I just need to find an affordable and good-quality version of it to buy.  You'll have to wait until we find it before I reveal what style that is, though!  Nothing like a good surprise to keep you all coming back in anticipation...

9 comments:

Sylvia said...

No, I don't have any crib recommendations, but I do know I have a portable crib in the basement that is just waiting for some grandbaby to need a nap at Grandma's house!

Chantelle - ThousandSquareFeet said...

In regards to the crib, just buy something you love. When we were pregnant, the in-laws paid for the crib and with the budget they gave I settled for a crib I didn't love. I had to look at that crib through 4 children (Ari never slept in it - no room for it in the bedroom - she is in a playpen) and always wished for a different one. Small detail in the grand scheme of things but whatever - pick something you will love to look at everyday! As for a crib mattress, we bought fairly good quality ones at Sears when they had them on sale. After all, that child will be sleeping in it for many many hours!

Sabrina said...

We got a second hand crib from Ken's sister. The look/style was not at all important to us. It's a neutral color and has worked just fine. We were glad to save the $$ and put something that would've sat in storage to use!

We chose, instead, to be a little more spendy on the bedding to jazz up the crib/room.

Josie said...

Hi Niki,
I don't know if you know who I am, but I was a freshman at Bethany when you were a Junior...I'm friends with Karis. I've been reading your blog for awhile and figured I'd put in my two cents :)

Something to check out while looking at cribs is a large amounts of recalls that have happened in the last few months for "drop side" cribs. I'm not one to always panic over these things, but there have been significant numbers. Also, we got a crib that turns into a double bed eventually (which has become quite common) and I love this, as it will be useful after it's crib use is done. :)

Sparlingo said...

I like simple lines and solid wood (as opposed to veneers), so I like this:

http://www.livingincomfort.com/images/richmond-walnut.jpg

Not very "exciting" as far as cribs go, though!

Sparlingo said...

A white crib would look really nice in a room painted with bright or pastel colours, too:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/madison-fixed-gate-3-in-1-crib/?pkey=bcribs

Alicia Buhler said...

You're always welcome to squeeze a trip to Indiana into your itinerary! You could come out here and get a handmade Amish crib...

:-)

Marsha said...

Yay McBaby!

Trev and Rebekah said...

We got a second hand one that was an IKEA one. It turns into a toddler bed which was helpful for when our son was learning to move from the crib to a big boy bed.