Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pregnancy Don'ts

Every website or book that is written for pregnant women is filled with do's and don'ts to keep you busy following instructions for the full nine months.  Some of these are more obvious than others (for instance, DO eat healthily...DON'T drink alcohol).  But two don'ts in particular have just got me baffled.

1.  Don't reach for things on the top shelf.  
          Hm.  Well, being 4'10" I have to reach for stuff on the bottom shelf.  The middle shelf is somewhat do-able but the top shelf?  I would need to climb at the best of times.  (And apparently climbing is out of the question while pregnant as well)  I believe they mean that you are not supposed to stretch your abdomen trying to reach things that are out of reach.  Point taken.  But, as helpful as Nathan is, he's not always around to reach things for me.  For instance, every morning when I need to tilt the shower head down so that I can stand in the shower without being sprayed straight in the face.  Some things just need to be done, pregnant belly or not. 

2.  Don't get bitten by mosquitoes.
          Ha.  I live in Saskatchewan.  To say to someone who lives on the prairies, "don't get bitten by mosquitoes" is like saying to someone who lives in California, "don't go out in the sun", or to someone in the landscaping business "don't touch grass".  Seriously?  I would love to send out a memo to all mosquitoes everywhere saying, "Sorry, guys.  You'll have to find another meal.  I've got a baby-on-board and therefore am not allowed to be eaten by you."  But sadly, mosquitoes don't respond well to memos.  It seems I will have to find another solution...

2 comments:

Marsha said...

seriously I don't even know how you keep up with all the do's and don'ts. They come up with a new one everyday! Especially on the diet side of things! (3 days!)

Alicia Buhler said...

Ha ha ...and they probably tell you not to use mosquito spray either.