Tuesday, June 8, 2010

a time to weep and a time to laugh
       a time to mourn and a time to dance
Ecclesiastes 3:4
______________________________

(23.5 weeks)

I am dancing inside.  I am laughing with sheer joy.  I am getting to know this little person who is growing inside me.  I am noticing when Baby is awake and Baby sleeps.  I know that the most active parts of Baby's day are first thing in the morning and right after supper.  I know that certain types of music will make Baby move like nothing else and that loud drums played by a 3 year old make Baby go absolutely crazy.  And Baby is getting to know me too.  He/She is starting to respond differently to my hand than anyone else's.  When I put my hand on my belly, Baby moves.  But when anyone else tries to feel movement, even Nathan, it often takes longer for Baby to respond.  Our son or daughter is getting to know their mommy's touch!  How amazing!

I am feeling so good these days.  Aside from a few "scares" earlier in this pregnancy, it has been perfectly smooth.  I feel so at peace and am just so unbelievably thankful for this little miracle.  My body handles pregnancy so well and I've been experiencing no sickness and very few aches.  I feel more comfortable in my skin now than ever.  I get such great joy from seeing this little bump growing and feeling the kicks getting stronger every day.  Almost every day I spend time just sitting and staring at my belly, which is already starting to visibly bounce and ripple!

The fact that we're going to be parents has been becoming so much more real lately.  We are slowly collecting little clothes and blankets and other baby things, and my mind keeps wandering back to the nursery.  It's hard to believe that we'll meet this little person face to face in just a few months.  What an unbelievable blessing...one I feared I might never experience.  I am humbled that we are able to have this experience and joy.  It is something I will NEVER take for granted.  I know that there will be days when I'll be frustrated or tired and life won't always be picture perfect.  But wow.  That's all I can say.  WOW.

All praise to Him!
___________________________

P.S-I have been hesitant to share about my pregnancy too much here on my blog because I've been afraid to further hurt my many friends who are already hurting.  Infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, and many other fertility-related struggles are painfully common and the last thing I want to do is make it harder for anyone.  That said, this is a huge time of rejoicing for me and Nathan and I do want to be able to share openly on my blog with those who would like to know how things are going.  If reading about pregnancy (and soon life with a new baby) is going to be painful for you, I'm so sorry.  But I long to share the joys as well as the sorrows here.  Being real and open isn't just about sharing the struggles in life.  We also need to rejoice together in our blessings!  Thank you to everyone who is following along with our story and offering words of advice, encouragement, etc.  I look forward to sharing more of our stories as time goes on!

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

It is so neat to read of your experiences in pregnancy, especially as I know how much you have longed and waited for this. I am glad you are able to share the delightfulness of carrying your baby and all the joys/fears/excitement that comes with expecting your first baby.

I pray that you would continue to enjoy this journey. Your thankfulness and songs of praise are a great reminder to me to rejoice in the gift of pregnancy.

Doing life together is about both mourning and rejoicing - I am glad you are giving us an opportunity to rejoice with you and Nathan.

And might I just say...great, great, great belly shot! You are way too cute.

Marsha said...

I was anxiously awaiting a pregnancy post. I am so thrilled! You look just as cute pregnant as I always thought you would :)
Can't wait to see you!

KDees said...

You have such a cute pregnant bump! You look great! It really is a miracle isn't it? Thanks for sharing this post!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I love your pregnancy posts! We are rejoicing with you.

Kyra said...

You look so good pregnant Niki! I have to say your cute little bump suits you! Thank you for sharing - I love your pregnancy posts, and your baby bump pictures.

Trev and Rebekah said...

You look great! You deserve to rejoice and be happy. I like to see updates and look forward to hearing what you have. You've walked with many of us in our mourning and we have walked with you but we now get to rejoice with you and it's good.