Thursday, May 7, 2009

Random stuff…

We still haven’t sold the house. Yesterday the guys at work (and Patti???) gave me some advice for our sign, so I went home after work and re-designed our “for sale” sign. Behold, the old one then new one:I am definitely not a designer, but I don’t think it looks too shabby…

......................................................................

So, this morning I figured out why I can’t keep up with trends very well: I’m never sure how to do them. Take, for instance, the recent scarf trend.

I would love to wear a scarf, I love the look, but I have NO idea how to wear one!! How do you wrap it? And what types of outfits does it suit?

I am so clueless that I would probably look completely weird but think that I was right in fashion central. Help! Karis? I am also not sure what type of shoes/sandals to wear with my tights…any suggestions?


......................................................................

I haven’t been taking as many pictures lately. I feel like I’ve taken pictures of everything that there is to take pictures of in our house and on our yard, at least until the apple tree starts to bud. So, unless I want to drive around and find something interesting to photograph (which Ryan does amazingly), I’ll just have fewer photos this spring than last. I did notice a decent size hole that a woodpecker has been making in our apple tree. (I’ve been watching it for over a month)


When I grabbed the camera, I thought the hole went right through and I thought there would be cool wood tunnels to get pictures of, but alas, tunnels there were not. But climbing the tree was fun! And I was amazed at how deep and big the holes were! Woodpeckers are pretty amazing creatures, despite killing trees…

.................................................................

And since I’m uploading pictures, I thought I would share a picture with you that I took on my first walk with my lens.

I like the detail in it: the rungs of the ladder and the links of the chain. Yup, pretty cool.

......................................................................

Oh, and here’s a picture of Lennox.

This is right after his walk. When he was a puppy, he would do whatever he could to avoid water, but he’s picked up this annoying habit (at times) of running through puddles. He’ll stay dry until the last 2 minutes that he’s off the leash. Then, he’ll take a big run and splash all the way down a ditch that’s full of water. He just splashes and runs until he’s completely soaked. Sometimes, if we really need him to stay dry, we’ll call him before he does that. But watching him splash and play is so much fun, despite the wet shakes, dirty tail my jeans, and footprints on the floor afterwards.

......................................................................

Hmm…what else? Well, Mother’s Day is coming up. I can’t say that I’m looking forward to it very much. Sure, it’s about our moms (who are wonderful and we love them very very much), but it’s also a painful reminder that I’m not a mother yet. I'm expecting it to be better than other years, though, for a couple reasons. The first reason is that Nathan and I are going to Grand Forks (for our anniversary) from Saturday to Sunday so we won’t be in church for all the hoop-la. The second reason is that I’ve done a lot of mourning and healing in these last 6-9 months and the hard days aren’t quite as hard as they used to be. I say this loosely…in general they aren’t as hard. Certain things still tip me off balance and throw off my day. But, praise the Lord, those days are much fewer than they were a year ago! Whoo-hoo!

......................................................................

The end.

3 comments:

Karis Brandes said...

First of all, good job on the new ad! And you finished the siding (finally!) YAY!!

Ok... scarves... I like the way you have it wrapped in your pictures. When I wear a long rectangular scarf such as the one you have, I generally just fold it in half and pull the loose ends through the loop (the way you tie any winter scarf) I have another few funkier methods but words don't really describe. With square scarves I fold them in triangles and wrap it like a bandana, basically. I wear them with EVERYTHING - t-shirts, sweaters, zip-up hoodies (a very good way to dress up hoodies when you want to be comfy, but too lazy to put on anything nicer) I wear them with jeans and skirts and shorts...

As for tights, that's a fashion field I haven't dared to venture. But I think they look really cute with flats... any flats in the world.

And now that I've written you an essay... ahem... I shall leave room for others to write.

Marsha said...

I also LOVE scarves! The trick with scarves for me is not to try too hard. Just drape em and leave em. (google it too, you'll find some lessons)

Tights can be worn very well with flats...especially b/c that is what is in style. Ballet, roman sandals, etc. Can also be worn with peep toes, wedges, pretty much anything! (have you checked out my shoe blog? I wear all except the white ones with my tights)

Good luck! And You'll look great in the new styles!

The Ford Family said...

I have been thinking about you guys and your house for sale and I just wondered if you had listed it on any websites...there are free ones you can list on...I looked briefly at this one: http://free2list.ca/findlistings.php. Maybe that's helpful. Also, when friends of ours were selling their home they made up a website that showed pics of their home and they put that in the newspaper ad so people could check it out that way...I've also seen slide shows of homes on You Tube.

The other option, which I don't know if you are interested in, is to rent it out...as long as you have trusted friends who will look after it for you while you are away. We have a rental home in Lloydminster and, if you find good renters (that's where references come in or you rent it out to someone you know), it's relatively stress free (that's what I've found anyway). This option ensures you don't have to miss out on California...anyway, just some thoughts.