Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Beach Day

On Labour Day (I guess I should say "Labor" because we're in the states...) we went to the beach with some friends. It was lots of beach and not so much water, but the water that was there was warm, clear and refreshing. We were there for about 2 1/2 hours and I spent much of that just laying in the sun, soaking it all up. It was a nice "cool" day for the beach, only getting up to 35 degrees. Good thing I decided to put on sunscreen at the last minute though...the spot I missed is feeling pretty tender today and I'm SO glad that the rest of my body isn't like that!
Even at the beach, homework is present. At least we could tear two of the guys away from their books for a while. The third? Nope. Apparently Matt was really into his Greek.


Isn't this a weird picture? So, the water we're in is actually a river...a river in the middle of a desert. So in the "rainy season" - winter/early spring, I think - it fills up and gets quite a bit larger, and then it recedes further and further until it rains again. To give you a bit of perspective...it's early September now so it was probably only 25 feet across and only a foot deep in some places (like where I'm standing). But where Amber is standing it is about 3 feet deep. At one point it was up to my neck, but that only means about 4-4 1/2 feet deep.

There was a rope swing that the guys took turns using. There were a bunch of Latin families at the beach too, and the kids were on the rope swings CONSTANTLY!! Our boys got a couple interesting looks because they were so much older than everyone else who was using the swing. At one point, one of the adults said something in Spanish and they all started laughing. If that doesn't make you a bit self-conscious, what does?!

Steve enjoying a slurpee on the sand while Matt plays frisbee by himself.

And that was our day at the beach!

2 comments:

Marsha said...

well, I have to say...kinda jealous of the beach day :)
Although we were talking about fall and fall fashion with boots and scarves and gloves which are cute. ...so I guess I'll be ok here with our chilly fall. Leaves already dropping from the trees like crazy!
But come winter time...I quit! :)

Trev and Rebekah said...

so you've made some friends there already?