Monday, September 28, 2009

learning

Three posts I have posted tonight, but I just didn't want to space them out over three days and I also didn't want to squish them all together into one. So once you read this, keep scrolling down and read about our fall retreat and beach homework day. Three is thrice as nice.

So you know the saying, "You learn something new every day"? Well, as much as I would like that to be true, it doesn't feel like I can name something new that I've learned every single day. But today I think I realized something. Wanna hear it?

Today I realized that it's important to always be excited about something.

It took me 24 years to figure this out.

Shouldn't there always be something that you're excited about that keeps you going? I'm serious! What's the point in getting up the next day if there is nothing that you're excited about?

It could be something small like, "I'm excited about baking bread tomorrow."

It could be something larger like, "I'm excited about the weekend."

Maybe, "I'm excited about buying a house one day."

"I'm excited about seeing Lennox again."

"I'm excited about being out of debt again."

There should always be hope and excitement of what's to come! And the more of a time line that what you are excited about has, the more exciting it is! I'll be out of debt ONE DAY vs I'll be out of debt in THREE YEARS, TWO MONTHS, AND SIX DAYS. Right? One is more exciting than the other. But both are good to be excited about.

Excitement equals hope. You need to have hope. You need joy. You need excitement.

Without hope, things feel pointless. Things become drudgery. Things are just a drag.

So what are you excited about? What keeps you going? What are your hopes? Hmm? I told you some of mine...

2 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

The cabins remind me of how "different" out living space was when we camped out in Congo for a few days. Wow! What an experience.

You are right about needing to be excited about something.

Marsha said...

I always used to ask ben what he learned today. Haven't done it in a long time.

But realizing something and learning something is really the same thing.

definition of learn:
-aquire knowledge
-become informed
-to gain by experience


that leaves the word learn open to a lot of things.

anyway...i agree. I love to get excited. :) life is so much happier that way.