Thursday, September 10, 2009

Good idea?

Most nights, alot of us in the Court eat supper together outside. Whenever Nathan and I have our supper ready, we head outside to the picnic table and, if there isn't anyone there yet, we are usually joined by at least a couple of other people. Well, last night there was a group of 7 of us eating outside and the conversation turned to the palm trees that are around the court. Specifically, the talk was of what it would take to climb a palm tree. The guys decided that lumberjack-style would probably work best so while one of the guys ran for his towel, I ran for my camera. Three of the guys (and one professor who happened to come by during our evening activity) tried their hand at climbing palm trees. Now you must understand, before you go judging these guys on their poor climbing ability, that these palm trees are the kind with no ridges or anywhere to put your hands and feet. These are smooth with no hand or foot grips at all. I've climbed a palm tree before, almost two years ago when we took our Buhler family trip to California, but that was a very different type of palm tree. I do hope to master the art of climbing the trees we have here on campus, though, before we leave in two years. The tricky part will be finding a time to try without alot of people crowding around with their cameras!

Matt getting ready, planning it all out in his head. Visualize...


Cheering section: Nathan, Mary, Phil.


Steve getting into the proper mindset...can you see how hard he is concentrating???


Steve climbing...


Matt reaches the rooftops...though I'm sure he could reach these rooftops while standing on the ground. Shh...don't tell anyone.


The palm tree gives quite the splinters. Ouch. Now I'm glad I didn't try! Nothing like a splinter-picking party.


Yay! Victorious! You showed that splinter who's boss!


I'll be sure to post a picture of myself climbing a palm tree before the two years is up...hold me accountable, people!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

that's how they did it in Cuba. but they used two ropes. One like you were using for the back and one for the foot...hmm. you'd have to talk to Cheryl for how exactly...she gave it a try, and did quite well. I didn't even try! :)
good luck!