Saturday, September 12, 2009

Potluck

We, as a court, are having a potluck tonight. Now, truth be told, I've never enjoyed potlucks all that much. We used to have them pretty regularly in the church I grew up in and I don't remember ever looking forward to them much. I would rather eat my mom's food, which I knew I liked, than try other people's food. I guess I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food. Anyway, so tonight we are having a potluck as a court. And as it turns out, I have not developed a huge love for potlucks over the last 15 years. Weird, eh? I know. So I have no idea what to make. Married couples were asked to bring a main course type thing so I can't even cop out and just make a yummy dessert. So please, please, please...take a minute and brainstorm what you would take to a potluck if you had one tonight. And then let me know! I NEED IDEAS!!! Thanks.


p.s-before you all go and start telling me how important potlucks are for community and fellowship, I'll save you the trouble and tell you that I know. I agree with that aspect of them. Eating together as a community is a wonderful thing, something that should happen regularly, but I'd be much more game for ordering in pizza. : )

7 comments:

Karis Brandes said...

Mediterranean noodle salad - red onion, peppers, chick peas, macaroni noodles, feta cheese, cucumber and then a vinegarette with olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, lemon juice, and a clove of garlic. So yummy - we eat it ALL the time!

Chris said...

A good baked dish is always chicken enchiladas. http://feedingboys.blogspot.com/2008/09/dora-and-diego-rolls-aka-chicken.html is my recipe. Another good one is a company veggie casserole - saute mushrooms, cook/drain broccoli, blend mayo sour cream & parmesan (1/2 c. of each) Add veggies plus one can artichokes (drained & chopped) to sauce, put in greased
9x13 dish. Cover with sliced tomatoes, season with salt & pepper. Put buttered breadcrumbs on top, bake at 325 for 20min.

Enjoy, whatever you choose... and tell us what you ended up with!! (and who brought what too!)

Chris said...

ps- I'd add green onions, toasted or carmelized pecans or some sort of nuts or seeds to Ericas... sounds awesome!

Marsha said...

i always take the easy way out with desserts too. i take ambrosia. Marshmallows, coconut, sour cream, pineapple, mandarins. 1 cup of each. can it get any easier than that.

being picky as well...i don't like complicated food. My favs at a potluck:
-meatballs
-salads
-pickles! and cheese
-potatos
-chili
-lazagna

you know most of the safe foods :) I like you am not a huge fan of potlucks. The ones I really like are the appitizer potlucks, or just really big ones, cause there's gotta be something there. But people always look at my plate like I'm crazy cause it's not heaping and overflowing! Anyway...that wasn't much help. But a great topic.

Stacey said...

I'm guessing you've long eaten, but Hashbrown Casserole is a favorite around here for potluck!

Sabrina said...

What did you end up bringing? I'm intrigued.

Alicia Buhler said...

I know I'm too late to help you out with this particular potluck, but here are a few ideas for the future. Some things that Carrie and I have taken to potlucks lately are:

Pasta salads (just pasta, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese (feta or cubed mozza), onions, and toss with Italian dressing)

Pizza casserole - pasta with a tomato sauce that has pizza seasoning, ground beef and pepperoni in it, topped with tons of cheese.

Baked Potato bar (a real hit!) - just bake a bunch of potatoes and bring toppings such as crumbled bacon, cheese, sour cream, chives, chili, etc.

Crustless veggie quiche - we sauted zucchini, peppers, and onions until carmelized (can also add bacon) and then add to about 6 eggs, 2 cups of shredded cheese, and a bit of milk; then top with more cheese and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. I've taken this twice and there's never anything leftover.

Watermelon and rollkuchen - everyone loved it!

Taco Salad - I have a great recipe if you want it.

A crock pot of chili (that day other people just happened to bring garlic bread, salad, desserts, and homemade iced tea! It was too perfect).

Tomato bruschetta - also a huge hit!