Wednesday, December 2, 2009

If I had a Million Dollars...

Ever played the game of trying to think of what you would do if you had $1,000,000 in your bank account that was yours to spend? I'm not sure I know anyone who hasn't at some point thought about what they would do with a large sum of money. But anyway, here are some things I would do "If I had a million dollars..."

- I would put a certain amount into a "reserve" fund and then at later dates, I would surprise family, friends, and charities with gifts as they were needed.
- I would put some into the pursuit of growing our family.
- I would help people I know with fertility treatments and/or adoption costs so they could grow their families.
- I would buy a moderate family home where I could grow old with my husband...sidenote: it would probably be on an acreage.
- I would save a chunk for a rainy day and use the interest (when the interest rates actually mean something) toward something important...not sure what yet, but it wouldn't just sit there and do nothing.
- I would go on a worldwide trip...Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, and North America. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I would skip Antartica and possibly also the north pole.

The thing I love about this game is that we always dream big, but how much of this would we actually do and how much would be different? I do like to think that I/we would be generous with it...

3 comments:

Kelsie-Lynn said...

We do the same thing!! Our list is very similar. Our new favorite thing is to dream about what kinds of gifts we would give our family and friends. I really hope that if we got that much money we would do those things.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love that you would help out those who want to adopt or with fertility treatments. That stuff sure does drain one's pocket book.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I read your post on infertility. Thanks for being real and honest. That video on infertility that I sent you really moved my heart and made me want to share it with the world and yet hold onto it for fear of others not understanding or misunderstanding where I am coming from since I struggle with secondary infertility.

I hear your wrestle with questioning God. Today in my woman's bible study (we are studying Beth Moore's series called Breaking Free) I had to realize that some time the truth or reality (ie. we are struggling to grow our families) can often lead us to believe the lies of Satan (ie. that some how it's our fault, we aren't good enough, what did we do wrong, God doesn't hear us, etc.) and then we are in captivity. God wants us to experience liberty. I was challenged to say that the reality of my infertility is that I am going through it but the TRUTH is that God loves me, has never abandoned me or failed me on this journey and that He desires good things for me. I truly believe it's just not His timing yet and that's hard for a girl like me who used to LOVE to be in control of everything. I've been learning that I need to surrender my dreams and daily give them up to God and trust Him and when my trust and the doubts come I just need to cry out, "I believe but help me with my unbelief" (just like the story in the bible). Thinking of you guys often!