Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mmm...Kool-Aid...

I love Kool-Aid.

Well...I like Kool-Aid but I love slushies made from Kool-Aid.

Today it seemed unlikely that there would be any more slushy-worthy days yet this fall.  Rainy.  Cold.

Time for Kool-Aid, the drink.

As I was pouring the Kool-Aid crystals into the water - the best part of making Kool-Aid, by the way, if you do it slowly and watch each individual crystal dissolve - I noticed that the package boasts about being both caffeine-free AND a source of vitamin C.  Do you see it?

I must say, I'm skeptical.  I believe the caffeine-free claim.  Why would Kool-Aid ever have caffeine?

But vitamin C?  Is this drink not made up of solely sugar and food colouring? 

Obviously Kool-Aid sales are suffering from the latest resurgence of nutrition-conscious moms who only feed their kids the most "smart" "green" and "nutritious" foods available.  This must be some sort of marketing gimmick on Kool-Aid's part, right?

Will I buy Kool-Aid for our kids?  Who knows.  I firmly believe in treats like sugared cereal and pop, in moderation of course. 

If I do buy Kool-Aid, though , it won't be due to the promise of vitamin C, I can assure you.  I'll probably head to real fruit juices for that...

Just thought I'd share this interesting moment from my day.  At least now, if I ever need a way to justify the yummy sugary-ness of Kool-Aid, I have vitamin C on my side...

5 comments:

Karis Brandes said...

I think my beat Kool-Aid memory was Nathan and a friend making and drinking an entire pitcher of it and then bouncing off the walks all day. But my mom wouldn't leg me do it when I wanted to do the same thing later the same day...

Anonymous said...

I agree. Sugary foods such as Kool-Aid & pop are a nice treat for children in moderation. (Not a whole pitcher, as Karis writes above). But I do wonder what your intentions were when you put such words as; smart, green and nutritious in quotation marks? Differing opinions are commonplace and their is nothing wrong with that. Are you mocking such foods as Wonder Bread Invisibles (which, by the way is complete marketing)? Or are you suggesting that you will not be feeding your child smart or green foods?

officehourthoughts said...

Karis. Landon and I drank 4 pitchers in one day. And it was at the Friesen's not at our place. And yes, we were bouncing off the walls. But that is because we made "special" Kool-aid with EXTRA sugar.

Karis Brandes said...

Wow, I just reread my comment and there are so many typos... sheesh.

Nathan... I think, really, I'm just jealous of the amount of sugar you ingested that day. I remember playing ninja Barbies with Melissa and you guys were climbing up the walls and having so much fun and I just wanted in on that.

Sabrina said...

Funny thing is that even real fruit juice's only claim to nutritional benefit is vitamin C as well, along with as much sugar as pop or Kool-Aid. Yes, it's naturally occurring sugar, but 30g of sugar is still 30g of sugar no matter which way you slice (or pour?) it.