Wednesday, September 1, 2010

the overview

Life has changed alot for us since finding out that we were expecting and there have been a few distinct stages within this pregnancy.  I thought it might be interesting to look back through the last 8 months and see where I've been...

Month 1 (approx. weeks 1-5)
-  didn't know we were pregnant yet.  Did you know that weeks of pregnancy actually start counting up before you even get pregnant?  I didn't either until I confused myself silly trying to figure out my due date.  By the time there is actually something growing in there, you are technically already 2 weeks pregnant!

Month 2 (approx. weeks 6-10)
-  halfway through this month is when we found out we were expecting.  We only found out around 7 weeks and didn't even think that we might be pregnant until then.  Too many "late" months with hopes dashed.
-  the second half of the second month was spent in shock, floating on a cloud, and with lots of apprehension and fear of letting myself get too excited.  It just didn't feel real yet...too good to be true.  I also spent lots of time looking for doctors and insurance.
-  we shared the exciting news with our parents at the end of the second month (week 10).  We also had our first ultrasound at 10w2d and seeing that little beating heart made the pregnancy feel more real than ever.

Month 3 (approx. weeks 11-14)
-  We shared the exciting news with our siblings near the end of the 11th week.  Mostly, though, baby is still our little secret!
-  Not sure what is normal and what isn't...still a bit of fear due to over-thinking every little pain and change.  Praying desperately for safety and health of baby...not entirely convinced that we actually deserve this blessing and afraid that it will be taken away.
-  Threatened miscarriage had us spend most of a night sitting in emergency at the beginning of week 12.  I spent the rest of month 3 on the couch or in bed (bed-rest).  Not allowed to walk anywhere but bed to couch to bathroom and back, Nathan had a busy couple weeks trying to keep on top of classes, homework, and all the housework too.  We hadn't shared that we were expecting with the world, yet, so the world (especially around campus) wondered where Niki was.  Two weeks of bed-rest proved to be enough, and at the end of week 14, I was given the all-clear to be up and about once again.

Month 4 (approx. weeks 15-19)
-  second trimester started with more "symptoms" than the first.  Nausea, though less often, was more threatening when it came.  Also got debilitating headaches.
-  We shared our news with the world this month on a deliberately chosen day - April 1.  It was nice to tell people our news, but also a bit overwhelming to know that it was out there and that it would be so much harder if anything did happen to baby.
-  belly growth really starts taking off at this point
-  after much discussion, we decide that this will be our last semester in California and start making plans to be in Canada next fall for the birth of the baby...Nathan will finish school from there
-  Still struggling to trust that everything will continue to go smoothly with the pregnancy, but relieved to be past the most critical first trimester
-  feel first baby movements (unmistakable) at 17 weeks.

Month 5 (approx. weeks 20-23)
-  sleep starts to become less comfortable.
-  energy level at almost constant "0"
-  move to Canada...LONG car trip at 20 weeks - never want to do that again!
-  month went quite quickly as we spent it moving to Canada, visiting with family, and spending a week in Manitoba with friends (while Nathan worked on a class)

Month 6 (approx. weeks 24-27)
-  baby is moving TONS by now
-  belly is stretching lots
-  sleep past 5am is difficult as there is much hip pain (lasting from month 4 through month 6)
-  looking forward to having a place of our own so I can start putting all my nursery ideas into play!
-  bought nursery furniture...start receiving baby things from friends and family

Month 7 (approx. weeks 28-31)
-  belly growth FINALLY slows down a bit after growing an average of one inch per week since month 4
-  move into our new place and let the "nesting" truly begin...though I hear that true nesting comes right before the birth and is done with unexplainable energy.  My unpacking and organizing was done out of necessity and without mounds of energy.
-  Weight has caught up with my frame and my feet threaten to do me in after a full day of unpacking 

Month 8 (approx. weeks 32-36)
-  Early month 8 is when I crossed the line between "glowing, comfortable pregnancy" and "sore, huge, uncomfortable pregnancy"...still enjoying life and baby movement and many things that go with it, but also feeling more uncomfortable than ever.
-  night time bathroom run count grows from 2-3 to 5-10 (once every hour or two)...this is not an exaggeration.  A couple nights ago I was up at 20 after each hour all through the night, and possible one or two additional times in between.  The next night I had a two hour stretch and I felt unbelievably rested!  Preparation for what's to come...
-  baby has outgrown my belly and is moving into my ribs/lungs.  I'm not complaining.  I'm merely letting you know that I will appreciate full breaths and unpainful ribs so much more after this pregnancy!
-  it starts to hit me that this birth is imminent...indeed it could happen at any time!  Throughout pregnancy so far, my mind has wrapped itself around being pregnant but somehow missed the memo about the pregnancy actually ending in a real, live son or daughter who will be part of our lives forever.  This reality hits home this month too (with much joy and excitement, of course).
-  the end of month 8 has also brought swelling...swollen hands (no more wedding ring), swollen legs, swollen feet, swollen ankles.  I find it quite funny sometimes, though it is uncomfortable so I'm glad I lasted until now before blowing up like the michelin man!

Month 9 (approx. weeks 37-40)
-  Seeing as I'm just entering this last month now, I don't really know what it will hold.  I imagine I will go back and forth between excitement and nervousness about labour and delivery.  It will probably be the least comfortable of all the months (thanks to very VERY mild morning sickness).  I will probably get progressively less and less sleep, as well as less and less definition between my feet and my calves (cankles, anyone?)

2 comments:

Marsha said...

loved this post! It was funny and sweet and exciting, and I felt like I was right there with you.

Can't wait to meet McBaby! Need to get together once more before then!

Karis Brandes said...

I love this!