Monday, September 27, 2010

not yet...

Things I'm wondering today...
-  have anyone's feet ever exploded from being so swollen?
-  is it possible to never regain feeling in your fingertips after being pregnant? permanent nerve damage?
-  are we 100% sure that no woman in history has ever had pregnancy last forever?
-  is it possible to go from nothing to baby in 60 seconds flat?  How about 4 hours or less?
-  should I pretend I have unbounded energy and clean the entire house in hopes of tricking my body into thinking it's nesting?  possible new form of labour induction?
-  how do mothers make it when their babies are over-due 1, 2 or even 3 weeks???
-  how do you continue to distract yourself when you're too huge and uncomfortable to actually do anything?

Thankfully I have only had a few days in the last month when I've really felt desperate for this baby to be born due to discomfort.  Most days I am feeling great and, while I really really want to meet McBaby, I feel like, "what's one more day of waiting?"  Then days like today hit.  I wake up in the morning and am so disappointed that I'm still in my bed and not in the hospital.  I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and ease my weight onto my feet, hoping they don't pop from the pressure as I make my way slowly to the bathroom.  I shower and wonder at the level of numbness my feet and legs reach by the time I'm done.  I crawl back into bed and, vain as I am, crawl out a couple minutes later to do my hair before it dries, just in case we head into the hospital later that day.  Eventually I pick out some clothes for the day...not too tough considering my options are "what I wore yesterday" and "what I wore the day before."  I spend the rest of the morning sitting with my feet up, hoping the swelling goes down so that I can get my shoes on and walk to get the mail (a thinly veiled attempt at inducing labour).  Eventually I decide to venture out of the house and, thanks to the beautiful weather, it is very worth it.  Lunch when I get back home and pretty shortly after that I am ready for a nap.  After the afternoon nap, Lennox is anxious for a walk so, in another desperate indifferent attempt at helping labour along, I join Nathan and Lennox on a mile-long walk around town.  Supper comes next, then an evening of sitting with my feet up, trying to stay comfortable until it's time for bed.  Of course, days like this are littered with prayers for labour and amazement at how much Baby is still able to move in the ever-cramped quarters that used to be my six-pack (yeah right).  Other days I find that I have much more energy and fill my days with extra walks, laundry, cleaning, and baking/cooking.  But today...today is truly a "waiting" day in which I accomplish nothing more than crossing another day off the calendar and thus end up another day closer to meeting our child.  I keep trying to convince God that we've been waiting 4 years now for this baby and surely He could grant us a few less days to wait.  But at this point it seems that we've proven ourselves patient and may have a while to wait yet...

3 comments:

Marsha said...

hahaha you're so funny! I loved loved loved that post. Maybe i CAN wait to experience this for myself :)

Good luck on the days to come.

Trev and Rebekah said...

As hard as it is to wait it is comforting to know that God has the perfect date that this baby is supposed to be born. What may feel like a normal date to you will have impact in God's eyes. Just like I believe he cares what we name our babies. He is in control of all the timing as much as we try everything we can to bring the baby out...he still is the one who decides when and how. You two have been on my mind today. Thinking and praying for you! Have dr.'s talked about induction dates yet?

The Hatch's said...

I feel your pain...really I do...I at least still have work to distract me (yes, I'm crazy and working right until I go in to the hospital). I just keep telling myself that in four weeks I will DEFINITELY not be pregnant anymore and will be into baby routine by then!! (not that it makes today much better, but it's something).
Marni