Thursday, March 12, 2009

Introducing...

When I was in kindergarten, a very popular question was, “What is your favourite color?” (I guess we were learning our colors so we would naturally choose a favourite one) As I recall, teachers would ask this, parents might ask…but usually it was a very important question when finding a new friend. “What is your name and what is your favourite color? Blue? Ok, we can be friends.”

A very popular favourite color was the color red. Therefore, I hated red. It was too popular for me…kinda snobby. I’d sooner choose less popular colors to be my favourite, like orange. I couldn’t give red the satisfaction of being everyone’s favourite.

Red has grown on me.

It is a purposeful color…stop signs…ambulance lights…brake lights…

It is a yummy color…strawberries…apples…cherries…lollipops…Kool-Aid…you see juicy and red and your mouth starts to water!

It is a memory-filled color…who doesn’t remember coloring with a red crayon…wearing a red shirt or red pair of pants…or red shoes…using the red teeter-totter in the playground…

It is a random color. Describe anything with the color red, and it becomes a random, simple object of beauty. The red kite. The red wagon. The red _______. (you get the picture)

As I thought about what the name should be for my new blog, I had many thoughts and went through countless options...Experiment of Experience was the first serious one I considered. Then I thought of doing a blog focused around the blessing in my life...which was a good idea, but not really what I’m going for. And then I was reading my Bible one day and I read about the Red Kite. (it’s a bird that the Israelites were either supposed to or not supposed to eat, I can’t remember which) Anyway, it hit me that that would be a great name for my new blog! The Red Kite! So I went to create it and low and behold, someone else had snatched that one up! Arg! I finally find a name that I like and it’s gone! So I tried different things, like The Red Wagon. Little Red Wagon. The Little Red Wagon. Nope. Nothing. Finally, I shouted in frustration, “What else is red?!?” (well, I didn’t really shout, but I was getting pretty annoyed that all the good names were taken) And my new blog name was born.

What Else is Red?

What does it mean, you ask? Well, I was going with the red theme, because of what I said before. “It is a random color. Describe anything with the color red, and it becomes a random, simple object of beauty.” My blog is pretty random. Sometimes it is completely shallow and fun. Other times it is deep. It’s about my life. It’s about my thoughts. It’s about me. Simple, beautiful, random.

So I invite you, each and every one of you, to join me as I move from Second Street and explore all things simple and beautiful and random. Continue to get to know me as I grow (not literally) and explore and experience new things.

What Else is Red?

Sidenote: I’ve gotten over my prejudice against red and quite enjoy the color now, though if the choice is between a red sucker and an orange one, I still choose orange every time.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

i like the "as I grow (not literally)" part. Made me laugh :) and i like the new name.