Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Such is life...

Sometimes, actually quite often these days, people ask me if I’m excited to move….

What am I supposed to say to that?! If I say, “Yes, I am,” I run the risk of giving them the impression that I just can’t wait to get away from this town! And that is SO not true! I have come to love Altona and our life here, and our friends here, and our house here, and our dog here, and my job here, and…you get the picture.

But if I say, “No, I’m going to miss Altona too much,” that wouldn’t be quite honest either. I am very excited for the next thing, and I think it will be an extremely exciting step to take. I am very much looking forward to having nothing to tie us down (mortgage) and being able to have very few responsibilities (compared to being a pastor’s wife). I sometimes think of it as being able to act my age again…

So, for the sake of time and not trapping the people who ask in a 10 minute explanation of how I’m actually feeling about moving, I usually say something like, “Yes, I am excited to move, but I will miss Altona…it has become home.” Done. Easy. Simple. Honest.

………………………………………………………………………………………………













Spring. I love spring. Though it is not yet, technically, the season I dream of all winter long (March 20 can’t come soon enough!), it sure is looking and feeling like it! A week ago today, it was -20(ish) with a -36 wind-chill. We had just gotten fresh snow (with lots of wind – blizzard conditions) and I was thinking winter would never end. And by the end of the week, it was +3! This time of year is so weird! (I’ll take the unpredictability of spring gladly if it means that one day it’s winter and the next day it’s melting!!!) So there’s flooding everywhere…except our basement (sales pitch…). Puddles are taking over the streets and the snow is disappearing at an astonishing rate. Have I mentioned that I LOVE this time of year?! It’s like the whole world (my whole world) goes back to being the way it is supposed to be in the first place. Fresh and green and alive!

………………………………………………………………………………………………













Nathan and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and took our pup for a walk through town on Saturday. (Actually, the walk through town was due to Lennox rolling in a very skunk-y patch of grass the day before when he was off leash out of town – as natural as that smell is, we’d rather not have it in our house) Nathan asked if I was going to bring the camera…and I’m so glad he did! I got some pretty decent pictures…they’ll be fun to look at when we’re in Cali and missing our pooch.

Yup, that’s me jumping a puddle…what’s the fun of going around? And yes, I did make it across…

3 comments:

Marsha said...

love the jumping pic! very you!

Alicia Buhler said...

Great pics!

Bonnie said...

Where are you guys moving to? Did I read something in an earlier post about LA? As in, Los Angeles? Sorry to be so nosy, but why and when are you moving there??