Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lennox's Birthday

Lennox’s birthday was fun. Because I had nothing better to do (and because I felt like celebrating something (anything!)) I decided to make Lennox feel like the special puppy that he is. No, I didn’t take him to the doggy spa. And no, I didn’t take him for an exorbitantly long walk so he could run. I baked him some birthday treats! And because it was his birthday, I let him help! Well, he didn’t really help, but hey, sometimes it’s more fun when you have company while baking rather than just doing it alone, right? So I made them on the floor so he could “help” (stools at the counter are out of the question for him). He was SO interested in what was going on! I told him to “leave it” and he sat SO nicely the entire time! Well, there was some sniffing at the bowl a couple times, but he didn’t eat any! He stayed right there with me until they were ready to be rolled out and cut. (I debated rolling them out on the floor but thought better of squishing doggy treat dough into the laminate flooring.) But at the end I let him lick out the bowl. And for all you germ-o-phobes out there… don’t worry. We wash our dishes in HOT, SOAPY water! Haha That reminds me of a joke my dad used to tell...





A young couple was over visiting a family who lived on a farm. The family had a couple of dogs and when they were done eating, each member of the family took their plate off the table and put it at their feet for the dogs to lick. The guests were from the city and were completely disgusted when they saw this. “Oh, don’t worry,” the farmer said. “We always make sure the dishes are cleaned with soap and water. Come, Soap! Here, Water!”


Many a laugh over that one when I was younger!










So I made half a batch and he’s still working on them. It’s nice because it actually takes him more than a couple bites to finish these! They’re so dense that he has to chew a while to get them all down! So yeah, that was Lennox’s birthday. And whenever I would exclaim in an excited voice that it was his birthday, he would wag his tail so hard and get super excited. Funny guy. I realize that it was just my voice that got him excited and not the fact that it was his birthday. But maybe if we make a tradition of baking dog treats on the floor with him every year, he’ll come to learn that “birthday” means something special. Hmm…

3 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

That is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Cute idea Niki!

Alicia Buhler said...

Where are the candles?

Too much fun!