Friday, August 21, 2009

From Manitoba to California

Since moving from Manitoba, Canada to California, USA, I've noticed a few differences between the two. In case you are ever planning a trip to sunny California, here are a few things you should plan for...

Manitoba - cold...windy...cloudy...snowy...
California - sunny...hot...sunny...hot...smog...sunny...hot...

Manitoba - pants, socks and shoes are comfy 8 days out of 10, year round (at least for me)...BUNNY HUGS are also quite comfortable to wear, at least in the evenings, if not all day
California - my feet are burning constantly! I just can't seem to cool down! Today I thought twice about choosing a t-shirt to wear instead of a tank-top because the t-shirt might be too warm.

Manitoba - I sweat when I exercise...sometimes...
California - I sweat when I exercise every time...I sweat when I walk outside...I sweat when I'm in the car...I sweat when I cook supper...I sweat when I take out the garbage...I sweat as I sit here. It really never ends...

Manitoba - I shave once every week or two...pretty much only when I want to wear shorts
California - Shaving every time you shower is not merely recommended, or even recomanditory...it is completely, 100% necessary.

Manitoba - Canadian grocery stores...Canadian brands...English music...
California - Spanish grocery stores...Spanish brands...Spanish music...

Manitoba - "grown in California"
California - "local produce"

Manitoba - laundry hanging outside takes a couple hours to dry completely
California - laundry hanging outside takes half an hour to dry completely

Manitoba - I get into my car after it's been sitting in the sun for hours and keep the windows up so I can enjoy the heat
California - I open the door after the car has been sitting in the sun for hours, stand back and let the initial heat escape (like an oven), get in and make sure the air conditioning is on before we even start the car

Manitoba - you open your car window to get a fresh, cool breeze
California - you open your car window and it's like turning on the heat full blast

Manitoba - you talk to your cashier in the store and they smile and talk back
California - you talk to your cashier in the store and they look at you funny because you're friendly and they're wondering who you are

Manitoba - "ho*mog*e*nous - corresponding in structure because of a common origin"
California - vastly multicultural

Manitoba - you put your plants outside in the summer to get some fresh air and revive after the winter
California - you take your plants inside in the summer so they don't burn to a crisp

Manitoba - watering your lawn is against some by-laws
California - even the trees/shrubs on the side of the freeway are watered...if it's green, it's watered...everything else is brown (at least right now where we are)

Manitoba - it's encouraged that you eat healthily...and it's affordable to do so
California - fast food and junk food are in abundance and at an astronomically low price...if you want to eat healthily, it's because you've made an intentional decision (both mentally and financially) to do so

Well, there are some of the differences I've noticed. It really is a different experience. When we left, I knew it would be different, but expected it to be relatively the same as Canada. After all, we are still in North America. But the American culture is quite different from the Canadian one. I really like taking note of the differences and relishing in the fact that I am immersed in another culture for a couple years. There is much to learn and see. Definitely worth the VISA/insurance/health/car/currency exchange/head aches to be here now!

p.s-as I was reading this to Nathan, he looked out our door and saw a coyote run across the court...this is a very small courtyard (maybe 50 feet across) in the middle of the city! We ran for the camera, but it was gone. Weird...

2 comments:

Sparlingo said...

Love reading about your strange new experience :) - I never would have thought of bringing your plants *inside* during the summer!!!

Alicia Buhler said...

So I take it that it's hot there? Is it also humid? The humidity here in Indiana is insane!

I can definitely relate to the healthy eating thing. The frozen dinner freezers take up more space in the grocery store than the produce section. I think a huge factor in that is socialized medicine - the government supports healthy eating and even promotes it because it costs them money if you get sick!

Oh, and the Latino culture - so interesting! I love hearing Spanish every time I go to the grocery store!