Saturday, August 29, 2009

When you don't post pictures for two weeks...

You have alot to post!

I've finally gotten my hands on a pc, so it's finally worked to upload some pictures for a little tour for you guys. Some of these have been on facebook already so you may have already seen them, but I know some of you aren't on facebook, so I wanted to put some on here too. I've got pictures on here from three separate photo-taking days. Moving day (before). House all set up (after). Around campus and random stuff.

Captions are above the pictures.

Our living room with all our stuff, just a few minutes after we arrived. So excited to finally be here, we had to whip out the camera RIGHT AWAY!!!

Shot taken from the kitchen into the living room. Plain, plain, plain. Before.

Our living room and kitchen before. The picture beside the door is the first one we hung (random fact).

Living room before. See that grate near the bottom of the picture behind the chair? That's what allows us to sleep at night and keeps us comfortable during the day. AIR CONDITIONING!!! (I had nothing else to say about this picture, so I thought I'd draw your attention to something at least)

Spare bedroom before.

Spare bedroom before. Nathan's desk on the left. Mine is on the right, just outside the picture. Doubt much decorating will happen in here. : )

Bathroom before. You'll have to forgive the white balance. It looks yellow, but we aren't so lucky to have color on our walls. Everything is quite white.

More moving day mess...again, our bedroom.

Moving day mess. Our bedroom.

The view from our front door. I think I'll really like this view in, oh, say January?

Another living room before: bare, bare, bare.

Our living room "after". I've realized that it's really hard to work with white walls. Everything looks so...random. You need to plan a room very carefully for white walls to work...and with a pre-furnished apartment, there is only so much room planning you can do! But it is relaxing and I do enjoy being in here.

Our living room in the foreground and kitchen in the background. Our front door about halfway back on the right. Doorway on the left leads to bathroom (beside kitchen), spare bedroom (other side of bathroom), and master bedroom (beside living room).

Master Bedroom "after"...as I write this, it is still just as bare. I haven' t been inspired yet...

Our living room "after"...still kinda bare, but at least it has a bit more happening in it than it did two weeks ago! Wait a minute...we weren't even here yet two weeks ago. It feels like we've been here SO much longer than that.

Our kitchen...homey, isn't it? Small, but decent storage. And we have a TABLE! So that's a step up from our last place!

The view out our living room window. I like how different these plants look from anything that grows (at least outside) in Canada. If you look closely, you can also see a basketball hoop and some of the other apartments...gives you an idea how small the court actually is. That apartment is the furthest one from ours!

Master Bedroom...VERY bare, but always clean. When there are only three things in a room, it's easy to see is something is out of place.

Spare bedroom "after". Nathan does alot of his homework in here. We each have our own desk in here, but I don't think either of them have been used for anything other than storage yet. That time will come, I'm sure. But yeah...spare bed with a BRAND NEW mattress...

Our bathroom "after"...the shower curtain adds alot! Still pretty bare, though.

The bars on all the doors help keep criminals out...or is that just what they tell us? Maybe it's the other way around. We are allowed to leave whenever we want though...I think...
There is also screen on this door so it keeps out spiders, beetles, snails, praying mantises, snakes, etc. Did I forget mosquitoes? Oh right, there aren't a whole lot of those right here. (sidenote: Sacramento has alot of mosquitoes or something! We camped there the night before we arrived here and both Nathan and I got quite a few bites all over our bodies that were very red and very itchy. One of Nathan's was about a cm in diameter! We're glad we left those particular insects in Sacramento and haven't been eaten alive here yet)

I was raking last Saturday and I kept finding shells, which I thought was strange since we're in the middle of a desert and so far from the ocean...but then I found these snails. Since then, I've noticed shells and snails everywhere! I also saw a praying mantis that day, and a bright yellow grasshopper...I won't tell you what is around but I didn't see...


This is basically just a picture of some palm trees. The one with the orange in it is one of my favorite trees on campus. We can see it from our windows. The buildings and cars below are the apartments (back side of them...outside of courtyard) and apartment parking.

When you walk or drive around campus, you need to be very careful because there are slow Swedish children playing.

This is the front view of the "mansion" aka administration building. This was originally built by a wealthy fruit farmer and later became the property of the seminary. It is one of the heritage buildings in town here. It is just as beautiful inside with a spiral staircase and rich wood mouldings. I love it. This building holds the offices of recruitment, financial people, president, admissions, etc.

This is the back of the administration building. Isn't it gorgeous? Between me taking the shot and the building, there is a round piece of grass with a fountain in the middle and roses all around the border with a stone retaining wall and circular driveway around that.

This is the outside view of our apartment. It kinda looks like it's a house rather than an apartment from this picture, but it does share a wall with the next apartment on the right side. There are 5 groups of two apartments like this all facing an inner courtyard. Perfect for a small seminary community.

Random picture of a popsicle...more of an ice cream bar, really. We were at one of the grocery stores here in town and when I saw these ice cream bars, I immediately thought of some popsicles that we had as kids in Paraguay every once in a while. They were Pina Colada flavoured and I haven't ever been able to find a popsicle that I like as much as those. I thought I'd found it, so as we drove home from the store, I held my popsicle and could almost taste that childhood flavour melting on my tongue. I quickly snapped some pictures so I could show you my special treat and share my exciting story with you, but shortly after this picture was taken, I ripped into the popsicle, got a big mouthful, and proceeded to gag. The beautiful taste that was in my mind was replaced with the most disgusting, vile excuse for a flavour that I had ever had. I couldn't bear to even bring it near my mouth again so I ended up washing it down the drain with hot water. What a waste. But at least now my mouth won't be watering every time I walk past those particular popsicles in the store anymore!

Hope you enjoyed the picture tour! It's taken many hours of playing with computers to get these up. Hopefully now I'll be able to keep on top of my picture uploading and don't have to post 20+ pictures at one time again!

No comments: