Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Latest Projects

I mentioned in my last post that I had some sewing that I was going to do. My first order of business was to make a new bag for my sleeping bag. I found some fabric at Wal-mart (roll-end) and it was more than enough so I also made a small bag for my sewing supplies so that I don't have to move the bulky box that I had been storing my supplies in. The fabric that I picked up was denim, though, which is great for durability, but will definitely leak dye. I didn't think of this until I was hand sewing some snaps onto my sewing bag and noticed that my fingers were turning blue. My sleeping bag is a lovely shade of hot pink right now and I would be a tad sad if the bag got a little wet while camping and my sleeping bag got nasty blue stains all over it. I ran it through the rinse cycle in the washing machine three or four times, until my hands stopped turning blue from touching it. Hopefully that does the trick. I'd really hate to have my sleeping bag ruined (I've had it since grade 4!), never mind the pretty ribbons and such that I store with my sewing supplies! But enough writing...here are some pics of my latest projects.

p.s-the sleeping bag bag looks kinda mis-shapen but that is NOT due to my lack of sewing skills. It is sewn quite straight, but I just shoved my sleeping bag into it for the picture without rolling it first. It's just stretched funny in the picture. : )



Another random, fun fact. Because of the dark fabric and the fun nature of these projects, I decided to use bright red thread for my sewing so I added a nice zig-zag detail on the sewing bag, both to add some interest and to keep it from fraying (I don't have a serger).

1 comment:

leah said...

Hey Niki! Your life sounds pretty relaxing right now, I'm jealous! I hope all of your packing goes well and you have safe travels to your new home! God Bless you guys as you seek the plan He has for you! Still praying that your house will sell :)