Tuesday, August 11, 2009

So Close and Yet So Far


Our move is coming up quickly. It seems like before we know it we will have the car packed, our goodbyes given, and our faces turned to the south. We leave in 4 days. And yet today feels like any other day. It doesn't feel like we can count our days left on one hand. It doesn't feel like we'll be all unpacked in our new home in under a week. It just doesn't feel like it's that close.

With the move not feeling altogether real, it seem as if there is very little to write. Our days are just normal...we will do today what we did yesterday and tomorrow we will do the same thing again. Every day is the same. Well, not quite. There are slight variations to the norm. For instance, yesterday Nathan and I took our car to have the clutch replaced and then spent the day in the city doing some shopping and having lunch together and I spent the evening feeling quite drained and stomach-achey. Today Nathan is rotating the tires while I plan to sew a new bag for my hot pink sleeping bag, a bag for my sewing supplies, add some snaps to one of my shirts, and perhaps do some scrapbooking. Our days aren't identical, but it hardly seems like there is anything exciting happening when there is such a huge change looming on our horizon. But, as I have told some of my friends, even the boring, everyday stuff is worth writing to me about. So perhaps I should follow my own advice and share the little things with you too. : )

This week has been a week of frustrations with our house selling venture. We've been having some mis-communication with our agent and that has been stressful. We do still have hope that it will sell by the time we leave. Anyone looking for a house in our old town? It's beautiful and homey and close to downtown and the price has been reduced, despite what the website says. (arg) It's ok...I understand if you don't want to buy it. But someone needs to...haha, it will sell eventually.

We've also been getting our car ready for it's long trek across the continent. It is a very reliable car, but the fact is, it's already 10 years old and has over 220,000kms on it. So this week I gave the car an oil change, we replaced the clutch, and now Nathan is rotating the tires. After that, it should be good to go!

I started to pack up our California pile on the weekend. I've been getting things together (mostly in my mind) to see what we are taking and what we'll need to buy once we arrive down there. We have a furnished apartment on the campus there, so all we need to take are our personal things. I'm trying to figure out (as I mentioned in an earlier post) what the balance is between taking things that will make it feel like home and taking things that are practical. We definitely don't have room for everything, but I think we'll be able to fit most of what we hope to take...a good mix of home and practicality.

As of this week, our church has recommended that they hire a specific person as their new youth pastor. It feels weird to be gone from there and have someone else almost hired for what was Nathan's job. I know that we haven't actually been working at the church for almost a year and that the church needs a youth pastor by fall...but both Nathan and I (as we've been keeping up to date with the online bulletin) had a moment of feeling really replaced when we saw that the church was very close to hiring someone. Is that weird? It feels kind of weird.

Anyway, that's about all that's happening right now. I anticipate much more exciting posts coming in about 5 or 6 days. But for now, enjoy the small details of my day. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! 4 days! That's coming up so quickly! I'm so very excited for your new chapter of life... also know, that I will miss you - it's been nice having you near by!