Saturday, August 1, 2009

Home is where the...stuff is?

Home is where the heart is.

We've all heard this expression. Have you ever stopped to think about what it means? I mean, really stopped to think about it...is home really where the heart is?

Home. The place where we rest. The place where we spend our leisure time. The place where we relax. A place that we go to and from. "A house, apartment or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household. The place in which one's domestic affections are centered. The place or region where something is native or most common. Any place of residence or refuge." (dictionary.com)

Where the heart is. Where is my heart? On one level (the deepest level), my heart belongs to Jesus/God/Lover of my Soul. So if my home is where God is, I guess that's everywhere, right? I should feel just as at home walking down the street or sitting in church or shopping in the grocery store as I feel at my place of residence. Right? Ok, that may be pushing it. But I'm thinking maybe I should watch where I feel attached...I should be ready to go at a moment's notice...this world is not my home. (???) Moving on...

My heart is also with Nathan. This narrows my home down a bit more. God is everywhere, so that is a given, but Nathan is not. So whenever I'm with Nathan I should feel at home? This feels closer to the mark. When I grocery shop with Nathan I feel more at home than when I grocery shop alone. I do feel more "at home", even while across the continent, when Nathan is at my side. But that still leaves me questioning why, even when on vacation with Nathan, I still just long to be "home" after a couple weeks away.

My heart is with our families and friends. Sometimes we leave our "home" and travel to visit our families and friends who live in different places. While I do feel more "at home" in these homes than I do in the homes of strangers, I still don't feel the same way as when I am surrounded by familiar things...by the things in my home.

So the question stands, is home really where the heart is? Or is home where the stuff is?

I was thinking about this tonight as some of my "stuff" is sitting in boxes in a basement (only to be opened in two years), while some of it is integrated into other households. Where is home? I feel a strange sense of displacement when I see some of the things that have made my home feel so much like home in the past few years suddenly being used in places that are not home to me. My piano. My couch and chairs. My blankets.

I was a bit shocked and taken aback at my feelings. Why would I feel so protective over my stuff? It's just that...stuff. I see the value in holding "things" loosely as I definitely don't see possessions as a huge thing in life. And I understand having these things being used while we're gone instead of just sitting around collecting dust. But I'm having a hard time knowing where home is these days...and seeing the "stuff" of my home so scattered doesn't help me feel very grounded. : )

I wonder if it will be difficult to feel at home once we are surrounded by only a carload of things that are familiar (moving down to the States in only our car). I was given some advice from a friend a couple weeks before we moved from our last home. She said that it is important as you move (especially when you move alot) to always take a certain thing from your household with you, to each place you move, so that when you see that item you know that you are home. I've been thinking alot this month about what will make our new apartment feel like home. What can we surround ourselves with so that my mind and heart understand that this is home for a while? I haven't come up with much yet...but I am really beginning to understand the wisdom in what my friend suggested. (thanks, R)

Home is where the heart is. Home is where the stuff is.

Hmm...I really have no conclusion to this. I just wanted to share some thoughts as that's what this blog is about.

I hope you all are doing well in your respective homes and that you are feeling "at home" these days. Please feel free to share what you think. Is home where the heart is for you? Or is home where the stuff is? Where is the line between those two? What is the definition of home for you? Where do you call home today?

5 comments:

Marsha said...

home is a tough feeling to pin down. It always took a few months (and sometimes years) for new places to feel like home. I remember my mom saying PA never felt like home to her until they moved.
For me home is that feeling you get of familiarity. When you drive down the street knowing you will be parking the same place you always park. Going into the house you always go in to. Those landmarks on a drive home that say it is coming closer.
Home is a feeling of community. That feeling you get when you're with your husband. Or when you see people you know and care about around town.
I think it takes time for a new place to feel like home.
I like the suggestion of taking something you always take. Every time we moved inevitably we would do a big clean and get rid of things, or we would leave something behind, or it would get lost. For me that item was my little miss piggy watch. Why? I have no clue. But somehow it made it through all our moves. I didn't even keep it on purpose...it just showed up everytime we moved.
I love moving. I love unpacking and finding homes for all my goodies. I like setting up the furniture, then re setting it up. I love meeting new people. Getting involved in a new church. Finding a new hair dresser. Everything.
Moving just adds more friends to your family list :)

Sabrina said...

I think home for me revolves around two things:

1. Running randomly into people I know, and;

2. Knowing my grocery store clerks.

I remember being really excited when I started to see people here and there in Winnipeg, it was so refreshing to feel connected to a wider body of people. Aren't we created for community (tee hee)! Does that factor in to what makes 'home' homey?

Going back to Calgary - where I grew up - isn't a comforting feeling anymore. I don't know anyone, have no connections. It's not the place - but being in relationship that grounds me in a place and makes it feel like home.

Alicia Buhler said...

Carrie always says that home is where the majority of her underwear is.

Something I've found ironic is that when I'm here in Elkhart or when I was in Winnipeg I would talk about "going home" to Hudson Bay and then when I got to Hudson Bay I would talk about going back to Elkhart/Winnipeg. Maybe it's because I'm still a student and still living in that transient lifestyle. I do agree though, I'm most at home where my roommate and my stuff is.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Love the new glasses.

Home for me is having a roof over my head. Wherever we lay our heads at night is home for us these days. Home is being with my husband and my son too.

leah said...

Hey Niki - I've been moving a lot in the last few years, and I think home is where my bed is. Not even my own bed, just my own bedding. Wherever that is is where my home is. although going home to my parents place will ALWAYS be home, even though I've never lived in the house they live in! Haha.

I think home is where your heart is, but that includes some stuff. I have sentimental stuff that makes weird places feel like home, like the bookshelf my dad made me, or my blankie, or my pictures in frames on the walls. But its different for everyone, and I'm sure you guys will figure it out :) I just moved to a new place on friday, so I'm figuring it out too :)
Hope you have a safe trip to cali, and I hope God gives you a place to feel like home for the next couple years :)