Saturday, August 8, 2009

Two bags or one?



Yes, I just did that. I emptied my Dawn dish detergent into a Zip-lock bag so that it would take up less room with the move. I've also emptied my Zip-lock bag boxes because the bags on their own take up less room than the bags in the boxes. Is this extreme? Well...when I look at how much we would like to move down south and the size of our car is (small), I don't see this as extreme. I see this as necessary. My next thought is that I could have easily bought more dish detergent when we arrived, but I am a Mennonite and if I have some perfectly good dish detergent sitting here, why not use it up before I buy some more? Am I right?

Moving has it's pros and cons. The first move was different because I knew that I would be able to go into my boxes if I realized that I'd packed something that I absolutely needed. With this next move, if I leave something behind, either I do without or I buy it again when we get there. It's not terribly tough to pack this time, but it takes alot more thought, that's for sure.

I've also realized, as I've been gone from our last home for over a month now, that I LOVE to hear any news at all from home. Emails from friends, news about the new youth pastor that they're working on hiring, hearing about what people back home are up to...these are the things that make my day. But, as I was reading an email from a friend today, I realized again how everyone's lives are moving on, as if we were never there. And that made me miss home. Our life isn't there anymore, and yet it was something that we both loved...it was our life. But now we are moving on and everyone back home is moving on and things will never be the same again. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess I just need to let go. But it's still the place that feels like home...

2 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

packing does have ups and downs. ziplock bags are great! You can even make soup and freeze it in them!

I hear you on missing home. I know I will be sooner than later.

Alicia Buhler said...

my opinion: packing dish soap in a ziplock back - just a little over-the-top Mennonite

...but what can I expect, you've lived in Altona the past four years :)

...however you've also got creativity - 10 points for that!