Friday, June 12, 2009

60th Post and a list of 60...

thoughts about moving...

1. the move is only19 days away
2. the thought of the move being only 3 weeks away (less now) kept me up for over an hour the other night
3. the house has 19 days to sell and we really think it will...
4. we've had 2 farewells...church and "former youth" aka friends
5. I've seen some people for the last time in a while
6. when I meet people on the street, I keep thinking that it could be the last time I see them for a LONG time
7. the house is not packed
8. we have a small stack of empty boxes in our house, waiting to be filled
9. I have a mental list of things to do before we move
10. I have a mental list of things that we need to do shortly after/during the move
11. I have a mental list of things to do after the move, before California
12. I think soon I'll be stressed enough to write down all my mental list in an effort to keep my sanity
13. I have moments of sheer excitement when I think about all the change
14. I have moments of near panic when I think about all the change
15. I only have 10 more days of work after today
16. Ok, so 16 sounds like 60, right? I think I'll have to stop here and just call it a random list of thoughts about moving with no relation to my 60th post.

So the move is getting closer and closer and, as you can probably tell from how often I mention it here on my blog, it is at the very forefront of our minds these days. Some days I just realize again how close it is, but most of the time it still feels so far away. Life still feels so...normal. We're both still going to work everyday, like always. (I'm not even training for my position yet) Our house still looks like it always has. We still own our house. I still mow the lawn every week. I still get my groceries from the store and pay my regular bills like usual. Lennox still gets walked every night and our evenings are still mostly free (when Nathan isn't working). So I guess it's not a surprise that sometimes the nearness of the move shocks me. Doesn't stuff need to change and feel different when you're so close to such a large move? Yes, my mind feels different, because we're making so many plans...but I almost feel like we're just planning an extended vacation. I just feel like we'll be in Saskatchewan for a month and a half and then we'll just come back to our town, to our house, and continue life as always. Truthfully, I hardly even think about California when I think about the move. It's still too far away. Do I dare pause here and count the weeks until that move? What if I panic? Hmm...now I'm curious. Be right back.

... ... ...

8 weeks.

56 days until we leave our home country and venture south. Hmm. It still doesn't feel very real. I'm glad. I didn't really want to have a little panic attack here in my office when I counted the weeks. 8 weeks still sounds like a long way off. That's still 2 months. Manageable. That's a whole lifetime away...

p.s-how do you like the new blog title and layout? I felt like it was time for a change, but didn't want to confuse anyone with a new blog address. Like it?

1 comment:

Alicia Buhler said...

I do like the new blog layout...very inviting and relaxing.

I know I keep telling you about my experience, but where you're at was me a year ago. It didn't feel like the move was real for me until we were in the car and had crossed the border, and then driven for two days and arrived on campus. Even then I felt like I was just going to turn around and go back home but, alas, here I am! That's to say, I thought I should feel more about the big move but it didn't quite hit me like I expected.