Friday, June 26, 2009

All Things Moving...

Time is passing and I think I can speak for both Nathan and myself when I say that we are feeling a lot more peace about the house than we were at the beginning of the week. Thanks SO much for praying! God has been teaching us amazing things about faith.

Behold, our updates...

House selling:
We showed the house on Wednesday evening and the feeling I got was that the showing wasn’t great and that we wouldn’t hear from the family again. Today, Nathan went in to talk to our real estate agent and he came home quite encouraged. It seems there are only 4 houses in town that are in our price range, with ours being at the top end of the range. BUT…ours is the nicest and our agent said that he would be shocked if any of the others went (for their asking price) before ours. So that was good news. We also found out that my impression of the showing early this week was perhaps a bit inaccurate. Because the family who saw it was at the house for under 15 minutes, I assumed that they had just walked in, looked at the size, and walked right back out. Apparently they loved it! Who knew? One slight downside (though it looks like a pretty good option, all downsides considered)…this family is new in town from Germany so they can’t get financing for 6 months. So that means that we would get a “down-payment” now and in 6 months, when the bank gives them a mortgage, we would receive the rest of the payment. In the meantime, they would be renting the house from us. It wouldn’t be ideal but it sounds like a LOVELY second option. The “down-payment” would put us in the financial bracket we need to be in to be able to go to school for first semester, and then we would receive the rest of the payment just as second semester was starting (PERFECT!). So none of this is for sure, but it is the most action we’ve had on the house in months, so I just had to share a bit of it! Seems God is working something out for us afterall…why do we always doubt? Has he ever failed us?

Moving/Leaving/Gone:
I’ve realized that I’m very much like my mom when it comes to moving. I would rather just continue on like usual until right before the move and then just pack and move. Some people find it more stressful to leave the packing for last minute, but I’m the opposite. I enjoy coming home from training at work or changing addresses in town and having our house still feel like home. To me, it feels like the move is a lot less stressful when I can still relax in the same home I’ve enjoyed for the last few years without boxes crowding my resting mindframe. So packing is all set to BEGIN on Saturday. That will give us four full days to pack (three if we don’t pack on Sunday) and clean the house. I think this will be plenty of time. And it will also give Nathan and I time to organize as we pack. We’ll be packing into piles. Seminary pile. Saskatchewan unpack pile (what we will unpack at his parents). Saskatchewan storage pile (what will be in boxes for the next 2 years). We’re also in the process of saying goodbye to friends. I’ve realized that what I wrote in the “Here’s how I feel about Goodbye’s” post is not completely accurate. Moving just isn’t like that. You can’t just up and leave without saying goodbye. I’m finding that I’m enjoying these last farewells. But I’ve realized that they’re much easier and more fun when I’m actually seeing friends in these last days here than just seeing acquaintances. So yeah. Lots of farewells with friends this week! And I feel like I’m staying on top of the move with my mind too. It’s starting to feel real and I’m ok with that. I’m doing really good. Not even too stressed today. And we’re moving in five days! Five!

Nathan’s birthday:
Last year I surprised him with an XBOX 360 (which is way more than we normally spend for birthdays), and two years before that I made a surprise scavenger hunt for him in the city. I usually find it great fun to plan a surprise for his special day. But this year, with everything going on, his birthday (yesterday) just came and went without much birthday hoopla. I felt absolutely TERRIBLE because I didn’t even have gifts or a cake. BUT, I am planning a party for tonight with a couple friends and then I’m going to plan a super-duper surprise for him when we are in Saskatchewan. It won’t be his actual birthday, but then it’ll be even more of a surprise for him. So he knows that something is coming but has no idea what or when (neither do I at this point) but keep your eyes open for the surprise sometime in the next couple months!

Well, I think that’s all of our updates. We have moving on the mind and not much else. We’re excited and a bit nervous and scared and curious and everything all at once. But we’re doing good. We’re more in love than ever and are so glad that this next step is being taken with each other. I can’t imagine walking on this water…jumping off this cliff…stepping into the blindness…with anyone else but my husband. So happy belated birthday, Nathan! I LOVE YOU!!!



Now to clean out my office…*sniff,sniff*

2 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

I am one who stressed way in advance before a move. This time I am thankful we are just renting and not selling and yet I am not excited to have to find new housing and to have a garage sale and pack all up again. Thankfully family is around to help watch my son if need be.

Happy belated Nathan!

Yeah for a house option. I've been praying.

Alicia Buhler said...

I've been thinking of you today. How did the move go?