Friday, June 5, 2009

Here’s how I feel about goodbye’s…

Ick.


One thing about moving away from a place is saying goodbye. That’s one aspect of leaving that I could do without. I don’t recall ever enjoying the parting mo
ments when I know that I am taking a permanent step away from where I was. Saying goodbye after a visit with someone is one thing, even if I know that the next time I see them could be years away. It’s the whole, “Today I live here in this place with you and tomorrow I won’t anymore,” that I don’t enjoy. I dream of slipping away, unnoticed…one day the house is full, the next day it’s empty.


I guess I see a move as a “see ya later!” type goodb
ye. Like after a good visit. It just happens that this visit was almost four years long and I didn’t “visit” with you every day…but it has been a visit nonetheless. Afterall, what residence is ever permanent until Christ comes, right?


So the more I think about it, the more I realize that the difference between a visit goodbye, which I don’t mind, and a moving away goodbye, which I dislike, is the mindset. Moving away goodbyes are always so final. “It’s been good knowing you.” Are we done knowing each other? Will we never speak or see each other again? Perhaps not, though even that is unlikely.


In the past, I’ve avoided these “moving away” goodbyes. I would slip away from camp unnoticed. Even leaving
Bethany after both years, especially my second, I would just slip away from the crowd, hop in the car, and drive away. I understand that this probably could come across as me not caring or that I won’t miss being where I’ve been. I assure you this is not the case. I would just rather…rather not have it feel so final.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Here's some pictures that I took last night...still gotta learn to watch for the correct exposure and white balance. These would be so mcuh better if the background was actually white and not sort of pinkish...




2 comments:

Nikki said...

I hear yah...all to well with saying good byes and all...seems as though I have been doing that waaaaaaaay to much lately...

Unknown said...

Well, it *has* been good to know you. Sheesh. :) But then, you're not moving away from me. You've already done that.

I love the photos. If you were fancy with photoshop, you could selectively correct the background white balance, but then that's a Band-Aid solution, and you'd need to know to correct it the next time, anyway. All the same I like them!

Can't wait until Jeremy's camera's mine too :) - I'll get to steal it and use it far more frequently when it resides in my house. Then we can have long-distance photo assignments together and I'd even have the same lens. Oooo.