Monday, June 22, 2009

Not much of a Green Thumb


So, I used to always say that I would never have a garden. This statement was due to the fact that I hated the jobs that I used to have in my mom's garden. Planting. Weeding. Picking. Cleaning up. My mom sometimes reminds me of a time when I was going to plant my own garden (we always had that option, from what I remember) and just as I was set to begin, I decided against it because I thought of all the work yet to come (especially cleaning up the plants at the end of the season!). Scared of hard work? Nah...I just like to choose my hard work carefully!

But about two years ago, I decided that, since I was all grown up, I could handle having a garden of my own. So, with my mom's help, a garden of perrennials was planted. I thought I could handle the weeding (see picture). Apparently not.


A couple hours, two tired people, two sunburned backs, and one terrible blister later, we had a fully weeded garden. I love the look of a clean garden...I love how black the dirt is when there are no weeds. I hear that you just need to stay on top of it. That's what I'm not so good at. Ah well. I'll blame it on the rainy spring that we had and move on. : )



I'll probably plant another garden at our next house. I'll probably keep on top of the planting and weeding and picking and cleaning. I'll probably love it next time. Or not. But I do LOVE to see gardens produce. I love the fresh flowers and the fresh veggies. Somehow the end makes all the sweat and tears worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My garden is in 2 pots on my porch :) No weeds, hardly any clean up... we'll see if they actually grow and produce!

Marsha said...

I LOVE potted plants. That's the way to go. Looks great, and no weeds.
Flower beds, not so fun. I would like to redo mine into some perennials I actually like. But I don't know if I care enough to do that even. We'll see what next year brings.
For the veggies...farmers market :)

Alicia Buhler said...

Summer crew at AMBS would not be for you...you would probably love the mowing, but weeding for seven hours straight, two days in a row, as I did last week would probably turn you off gardening for life. I love the feeling of accomplishment though!

ps. Have you ever heard of weed control? We sprinkle in on the dirt after we've weeded to keep the weeds at bay and it really helps. Cow feed (corn gluten) works as weed control, but you can buy the stuff at a hardware store or yard center.