Friday, February 12, 2010

Dreams

I just found out last night that one of my dreams is farther away from attainable than I'd previously thought.

I've always wanted to take a leisurely train trip across Canada.  I'd like to stop at least once in each province and see what there is to see and then continue on.  Just imagine traveling through the mountains and prairies and Canadian Shield and valleys and...everything!  You would get such a sense of the varying Canadian landscapes and cultures. 

Well, to see if my dream was possible, perhaps for this summer (when else will we have a month to dedicate to whatever we want?), I went to the Via Rail website and mapped out my ideal trip.  And then I saw the price of said trip.  And then I knew what we wouldn't be doing this summer. 

So there went my dream.  I suppose it might be a more relaxing trip at a retired pace anyway.  Oh well.  Hopefully trains are still around in 60 years when we retire...

5 comments:

Sparlingo said...

I've also had this desire, and I've also priced it out and have been mortified by the results :(.

Wouldn't it be lovely, though?

Marsha said...

Ditto here, Ben and I looked into it. My mom went across western canada when she was younger and said it was wonderful, and gorgeous! An awesome way to see it all.

If it's any consolation I've heard the "cabins" or whatever they're called are extremely uncomfortable.

Nikki said...

Keep dreaming Niki! someday it might come true! Keep on reaching for those dreams!

Andrew said...

Did you check out the CanRailPass?

Trev and Rebekah said...

Cananda is amazing to see. It would be cool to ride the train across to see if all at once. I have been to every province except Labrador and NWT and Nunavit (how do you spell that?!). It's my dream to see all those before I hit the bucket.
I have been enjoying my Beth Moore series. Last week was on "binding up the broken hearted" and this week on how every dream that little girls have like getting married and having kids may not look like how we dreamed because God had bigger dreams for us. It's been interesting to plow through. I recommend it.