Monday, February 22, 2010

Hymns

I've noticed a shift lately (last 5-10 years or so) away from hymns being sung in churches, especially among the younger generation.  I've heard them described as slow, boring, and irrelevant.  Too hard to understand is another complaint I've heard. 

Now, I understand that some hymns are hard to appreciate (to put it lightly) or understand.  And some congregations sure have a way of making hymns downright torturous.  But I do believe that hymns can be done well, and when they are, they are some of the most powerful songs out there.  Besides, aren't the most lovely of gems often worth a little extra work?

Consider the richness of heritage and history in these songs.  Just knowing that most hymns were written by people who lived in a very different world than us and yet the writers praised the same God as us today is amazing!  And it didn't seem to take the very best worship leaders and the most popular songwriters to write a hymn.  Some hymn-writers were blind...some were in prison.  The huge variety within the hymnal is beautiful.

Sometimes I wake up and I have a song in my head, first thing in the morning. (not very often - I am NOT a morning person - but sometimes it happens!)  This morning it was a combination of "Holy, Holy Holy" and a newer, contemporary worship song - I don't remember which one.  It was a beautiful duet in my groggy, half-asleep head.  As I ran out to do some errands just now, the song kept playing in my head.  And I realized again how much I appreciate hymns.  They are like prayers.  The hymnal is almost like a prayer book.  It is written so poetically (ok, not all of them, but many!).  The songs are beautiful and so full of meaning and worship.

Hymns are very different from worship songs, I agree.  But I also believe that both can be fully appreciated for what they are.  If you are someone who doesn't really appreciate hymns, I encourage you to try listening to hymns somewhere in a different context than usual.  Or maybe just get your hands on the lyrics of a few hymns (I'm sure you can find some online if you don't have a hymnal close by) and read them.  You may be amazed at what you're missing...

Holy, holy, holy!
Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy!
Merciful and mighty!
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

Holy, holy, holy!
All the saints adore thee,
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
Cherubim and seraphim
falling down before Thee (wow, what a picture, right?)
Who wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.

Holy, holy, holy!
Thought the darkness hide Thee, (still so true!)
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy -
there is none beside Thee
Perfect in power, in love and purity.

Holy, holy, holy!
Lord God Almighty!
All Thy works shall praise Thy name in earth and sky and sea;
Holy, holy, holy!
Merciful and mighty!
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

I remember singing this (among many others) at my very Catholic church growing up. It has been neat to have seen my own shift away from hymns, to then rediscover how meaningful and powerful they can be. I think Phil Siebert's liturgy chapels helped me rediscover some of the richness and depth to these songs, along with the beauty of a more contemplative and liturgical approach to worship.

Thanks for this lovely post, Niki!!

Marsha said...

What I love about hymns, is I can feel my mom standing next to me singing them.
I was raised on hymns, and they take me back to faith as a child.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

My first thoughts were of Phil Siebert chapels too! I enjoy singing hymns. I love the harmonies and the stories they tell. But I do find that is something that has grown on me as I get older. Good post!

Alicia Buhler said...

They definitely aren't moving away from hymns around here! I love hymns but I also miss the occasional P&W song.