Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Noise...

Jesus often withdrew to lonely places to pray.

He spent time in silence.

He went away from other people and distractions and spent time with His Father.

I know that I benefit from withdrawing, and it's not just because I'm an introvert.

I know that my relationship with God grows through time spent in silence and solitude.

So why do I constantly fill my life with noise and distractions?

I used to find such life through wandering out into open fields and forests full of trees.

I would often plunk myself down in lonely places and spend hours, sometimes, just praying and listening and, mostly, being still.

Since moving to the heart of a busy city, I have found it hard to withdraw. 

Where do you go when everywhere you go there are buildings and noises and people

Where is the stillness when you can never count on being alone from one minute to the next?

It's hard for me to live in a city. 

Where do people meet with God here?

It's not like the prairies...

I can't just wander out and be alone in nature with God.

And the spare bedroom is just not the same.

2 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

at bethany trev used his closet and had a lamp in there. in stoon i used the storage space under our stairs

Karis Brandes said...

I had a closet at Bethany that I used for that purpose too... Still not the same as going out in forests or fields. I'm like you - I need to be somewhere natural to really feel quiet and still. And that's hard being in the city.