Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Driving in the Rain...

Anyone want to see what it looks like outside here today?
 
Sunny California, indeed.  I just took this picture out my kitchen window a few minutes ago.  It is a RAINY day.  We have had ALOT of rainy days this winter.  It is the sort of day when it feels good to have the heat turned up, and all you want to do is stay inside, wrapped in a blanket, and read your book.  But alas, I must go out.  *sigh*

Driving in this weather is not my cup of tea.  See, I have no problem driving in the rain.  It's not raining that hard, so visibility is still good.  It's not that slippery, especially not compared to fresh snow, packed snow, or roads that are sheer ice from freezing rain, all of which I've driven on in the last year with no mishaps.  (I am, after all, from the Canadian prairies.)  So why am I not looking forward to getting out on the roads this morning?  Well, few Californians are used to driving in less than ideal conditions.  Every time I go out on the roads in the rain, I see at least one accident where I'm driving.  So, while I can be a defensive driver and watch the cars around me, that doesn't always stop someone else from spinning out of control because they were going too fast or trying to turn too sharp.  

I'm sure I'll be fine.  Most people DO slow down a fair amount in poor weather (haha - poor weather).  It'll just be a day to stay off the freeway and allow an extra 15-30 minutes to get where I'm going.  Ah the joy of living in California.  I share this with you so that you can feel as though you're experiencing it yourself and don't feel the need to rush down here yourself and further overpopulate this Golden State.  California has it's beautiful moments - alot of them! - but, like everywhere else, it's not always perfect. : )  And yes, I can hear your gasps of shock from here.

1 comment:

Trev and Rebekah said...

I do not enjoy driving in BC rain either.