Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A good day for coffee...

A friend of mine, Kelsie-Lynn, once mentioned that it feels to her like she's having coffee and a chat with me when she reads my blog.  I've often thought of that, Kelsie, since you mentioned it.

So today, in my completely uninspired state of mine, I am asking myself: What would I share with you all if we were drinking coffee together and chatting.

Well, I would probably start by explaining that I really prefer tea over coffee and proceed to switch my cup for a good herbal, fruit, or black tea.  My current favorite is a Blackberry Sage tea from The Republic of Tea, though I find that it is quite finicky.  But if you steep a cup just right it is one of the most amazing teas to have crossed my lips.  That said, if the process goes awry, the cup is pretty much a write-off; such is the importance of doing things right. And then the conversation would likely continue.

How's it going, Niki?
(now it kinda feels like I'm talking to myself, but I will push through the awkwardness...this time...)

It's good!  I spent all of yesterday morning in bed feeling sick and sleeping, and spent the rest of the day eating crackersBut today I am feeling quite rested and back to my normal self, so I suppose it was a good day after all!  Sometimes it's worth getting sick for a day...

What have you been up to lately?
(now, I'm assuming that you all understand that if you ever take me out for coffee, I won't just talk about myself the whole time and expect you to ask all the questions.  I WILL allow the conversation to go both ways : )

I haven't been up to much.  I constantly have this feeling of, "I should be doing homework."  But luckily I am not a full-time student, so even though there is always something to be done, I don't really get behind if I am sick for a day or if I just decide that I'd rather do something else (like laundry, babysitting, making things, or cooking/baking).  I also have another afghan on the go.  I bought two more balls of the yarn that I used to make the last one that I showed you (green and brown) but didn't end up needing them, so now I have enough for another blanket.  This one is going much slower (smaller stitch), but that is nice because it means that I have something to work on during movies/tv watching.  Other than that, I haven't been up to too much.

How are you enjoying California?

Ooh...this is a tough one.  The weather?  Yes.  I am enjoying the weather.  No snow.  Decent amount of sun, though it has been cloudy/foggy and rainy alot this winter.  It just feels like we've had a cold summer for the past few months.  A nice day here and there, but overall it is still chilly when you go outside.  Not cold by Canadian standards, but still uncomfortable to be outside if you're not moving.  And if you're soaked while you're out there, it doesn't matter if you are moving or not.  It's just COLD!
What else do I enjoy about California?  I enjoy the novelty of the fact that we are living in California.  That is pretty sweet.  I'll be able to tell my kids that I lived in California for two years.  They'll be pretty impressed...or else they just won't care at all.  I'll take my chances that they'll be pretty pumped though. : )  I also enjoy the different culture.  There is a very distinct Latino culture, especially right in our area of the city.  It has been interesting to adjust to that.

Some things I am not enjoying so much about California.  For instance, being so far from friends/family.  By the time we were finished in Altona, I was feeling very ready to live closer to our family.  And here we move three/four times as far as we were when we were just in Manitoba!  It's crazy, I know.  But it was the right time to do seminary, and the right seminary was 3000 kms from our families.  I guess that's just what happens sometimes.  So while I would really love to be living somewhere closer to our parents and siblings now, I keep hoping that our next move will take us back closer.

Well, I should really get going.  I didn't talk write as fast as I thought I might and it's time for class to start.  Hope you are all doing well.  Nice having coffee with you today.  Perhaps the next time I'm in your neighbourhood we can actually grab a cup of coffee...or tea...or hot chocolate.  : )  See ya.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

nice having tea with you too. you'll enjoy my teavna, when you come this summer. I just had a perfectly steeped cup of black tea this morning, it was wonderful.

and niki, you have to keep making cute touques right after I buy one!!!! That brown with pink wow!

It's going to be an addiction!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

Love it! I still feel that way. Since I just emailed you a long response I won't go on here. Just know I love having "tea" with you and can't wait till we can have these conversations in person.

Alicia Buhler said...

I shared a chocolate chip cookie with you this evening in addition to tea/coffee. Nice chatting with you :)