Friday, April 24, 2009

7the Folder, 7th Picture


Photo cred: Nathan (I think)

I’ve always thought this idea of sharing the (x-th) photo of the (x-th) folder on your computer was a fun thing. So when I saw a couple people doing the 7th picture of the 7th folder lately, I was curious about what mine was. So I checked it out. It wasn’t anything that struck me as interesting, so I thought I’d check the 24th picture of the 24th folder (because it’s April 24th today). And that one was even less exciting…a sunset or something, which is nice, but had no story behind it. So I thought I’d check the 4th folder for the 4th picture (because April is the 4th month). And that one was a HILARIOUS one of Nathan during his second year at Bethany with two of his friends (Brad and Kevin) at a soccer tournament. He had his long curly hair and they were all kinda sweaty and gross. What an amazing picture! But I know how much Nathan dislikes pictures of himself with his long hair and the fact that he was sweaty makes it even worse, and I couldn’t do that to him. I vowed when I married Nathan that I would love and honour him…and putting up that picture would not be honouring him!! (for those of you with a 2002-2003 Bethany yearbook, I believe this picture made it in…) So I went back to the 7th picture of the 7th folder and realized that there is, indeed, a story behind that picture.


The picture is of some monastery ruins??? At least I think that’s what it is. It’s on the south end of
Winnipeg and the grounds are just beautiful (if you like ruins). I find ruins fascinating. I’m captivated as I imagine the people who lived during that time moving through and using the buildings and grounds. Plus, even without imagination, they make some great pictures.


The reason we were there that day was to celebrate Nathan’s birthday. I think it must have been his 23rd birthday…it was the first birthday that we were in
Manitoba for. While sitting at work (my first job in Altona) I was incredibly bored so I started planning a scavenger hunt for Nathan. This hunt started with a picnic lunch that I had prepared and hidden in the car without Nathan knowing about it. The clue said to choose a park and we would share a picnic lunch there. He chose the ruins. We found a nice little picnic spot by the river and enjoyed our lunch. Then, I proceeded to lead him to different points in the city to buy (he could kinda choose) his birthday gifts. For example, one clue led him to Chapters where he could pick out a book. Another one let him pick out a cd…another may have been a video game. I had hidden the cards and gifts from our parents/grandmas (which he didn’t know I had) by the spare tire, so one clue led him there. We ended the date with a nice supper at the Olive Garden, I think. Compliments of a gift certificate, of course.


I think Nathan had fun that day. I know I had fun planning it. I kept all the clues (which each had a hint because some clues were pretty cryptic) and put them in our scrapbook so we can look back any time and remember. I like to plan little surprises like that for Nathan. Currently, I’m trying to throw something together for our anniversary, which is coming up in May. (I can say this because I know that Nathan doesn’t have any internet access!) I’m thinking maybe a surprise getaway at the place we went for our honeymoon. (we obviously didn’t go anywhere exotic!) It would be a bit of a celebration of our 5th anniversary a year early, seeing as how on our fifth we have no idea where we’ll be or how much money we’ll have. I’ve been wanting to go back to our honeymoon spot since our honeymoon was over (the official honeymoon week, I mean…hehe) so now that it’s been 4 years, I think it’s time to revisit the past. Wow, I can’t believe it’s been that long…

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I know it wouldn't be very anniversary-ish but you could make a stop by here :) it's pretty close!